Career Advice

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

pdc

Career Advice

Post by pdc »

Right... this isn't about dev but it isn't too far off considering the things we've seen on the forum recently! :)

Having foolishly applied to study for a Music-releated degree course at university, I have had a last-minute change of heart - having rediscovered my interest in computing/programming.

It has been my dream to work for someone like Sony since visiting SCEE London a few years back. I know this isn't a realistic expectation before anyone points that out.

I would like to know:
What Degree (BSc.) qualification would an employer look for?
Computer Science? With Game-related modules?
Computing?

Do employers look more at the skills a person has, rather than where they studied?

Which UK university is well respected in the industry?

I have just spoken to Leeds university and they say the Computer Science course features absolute *no* pogramming or hardware work (in the Core modules anyway), so I am a little confused as to what course I should choose.

Experiences of the relevant Degree courses, universities and employer expectations, UK or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

pdc, I was more or less in a similar position some time ago. While I was doing my business degree, I started having big interest in CS. In the end with an additional year I was able to get both degrees, but I guess it will be hard to do that with music in your case :)

when it comes to CS and work.. things are very interesting, as I can think of examples of when you won't even be considered if you don't have a degree, and when they are not even necessary. (as an example to the latter, there is that guy Kaya, who has no formal education in CS, yet he has been one of the leaders in computer security, I think he was the team ledear of AGIS's backbone)

I'm not in UK so I can't give you a advice on Univ there, but as far as what I would do in your place... I would go and contact the HR department of a couple of companies that you may be interested in, and ask those questions there. Ask how many of the recent recruits have CS degree. Also look on their web-pages in job-opportunities, find the jobs you may be interested in the future, and see what their requirements are. Also another thing you may do is find a few successful "examples", and look into their resume's and see how they did it.
=)
hope that helps,
g2g

Post by Guest »

What employers look for depends on the industry, and probably on the country.

If you have strong skills, you can often get past not have the "right" education. But usually you need to rely strongly on your social networking skills in order to impress the right people to get in.

If don't have strong skills, then you won't get much anywhere without the right degree. Even then, its entry-level stuff.

Also, computer science programs differ from each University. Some treat is more as a science, focusing on math and abstracts. Others have stronger focus on the programming and software engineering. The latter is what will help you.

Consider doing both music and programming. Music and sound is a critical aspect of most computer games. Obviously you loved music to get a degree in it. Having a combination of skills may be the "in" you need to get noticed.

Also, degree programs involving game development are finally being created. There are some in the US, I dunno about UK. These are something to consider.

Finally, there are those who think you are crazy to look for a job in the games industry. But since you are nearly out of college it seems, my feeling is, you are young - go wherever you can get money, experience, and options. In other words, someplace that can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.
pdc

Post by pdc »

@MindWall,

thanks for your thoughts.
I have been looking at job vancies for game development and I really like what I see. The required skills are just what I want to learn :)
I will try to find the resumes of successful "example" developers as well.

@gorim,

I hadn't considered that my music knowledge would not be a dead loss. My interest is sequencing, synth programming etc so it may come in handy some day. I will still persue this as a hobby anyway.

A relatively prestigious university does a "Computer Game Programming Degree" course. I will look into it when I have time.
gorim wrote: there are those who think you are crazy to look for a job in the games industry
Why would anyone think I'm crazy...?
Is there too much competition for jobs?
Are the hours too long? (I'm told the working hours can be terrible!)

I'm 19yrs old and I would consider gaining skills to be my strength so I should be able to end up with a rich set of skills to boast.

Thank you too for the advice!

I'm anyone from the UK could provide an insight, I'd still really like it.

I also wonder if a "Degree in Computer Games Programming" would be taken seriously outside the games industry. It doesn't sound as 'mighty' as a Degree in Computer Science! :)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

pdc wrote:
gorim wrote: there are those who think you are crazy to look for a job in the games industry
Lots of competition, long hours (especially during crunch), low wages...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
pdc

Post by pdc »

Drakonite wrote:
pdc wrote:
Lots of competition, long hours (especially during crunch), low wages...
Yeah well I'm in it for the chicks :P

Post by Guest »

pdc wrote:
Drakonite wrote:Lots of competition, long hours (especially during crunch), low wages...
Yeah well I'm in it for the chicks :P
Anyhow, the important thing, is that you talk to folx in the industry as much as possible. Stop by #ps2dev on freenode and chat up with regulars there who are or used to be in the industry. There are quite a few Brits there so you can get advice that is relatively local to your situation.

My advice is generally the same for everyone at entry level: if you got many possible jobs lined up for you, great, but otherwise, take any job that lets you earn a living, gain experience, build a network, and hopefully make money. In other words, gives you the ability to build your options and leverage for career improvement.

Still, go into it knowing what you are getting into.
dreamtime

Post by dreamtime »

hi pdc...That's some great advice from the guys there. I'd also recommend checking out http://gamedev.meetup.com . Try find a group near where you live, and ask them your questions over a beer or two.