Looking for people interested in helping with a N64 PSP emu

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

thehalo2renegade

Looking for people interested in helping with a N64 PSP emu

Post by thehalo2renegade »

I need someone that is fairly experienced at doing psp homebrew I have the basic foundation for the emulator done just it needs to be polished and worked on for a while. I'm looking for multiple people kinda like a Development team.
subbie

Post by subbie »

you porting an exsisting one or writing a new one from scrach? Also with out the psp 3d being known its going ot run like ass in software.
thehalo2renegade

Im going to use the 1964 as it being the easiest to program and is the most compatible with roms.
gotxp

Post by gotxp »

I thought I would include a link to the original discussion over at psphacker.com

http://www.psphacker.com/forum/showthre ... #post23619

I believe this is your original thread 'thehalo2renegade'
See The Future... Feel The Future...
inomine

Post by inomine »

N64 emulator, bah too easy, what we need is a PC emulator that emulates a nice P4 with some shiny Geforce magic, then we can emulate everything without having to mess about porting the current emus!
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

I think what he is trying to say is thats its a bit early to be thinking about an N64 emulator, especially when we don't even know how to use the gpu.
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
Smiths

Post by Smiths »

yeah, we gotta figure out more of the hardware before y'all wanna jump into this.

and a psphacker dev thread.... yeah.... considerng they already employ the ps2ownzz technique of "one of our forum users released..."
like registering at a forum gives the right to not cite the true release origin.

I've seen these "task forces" assembled before... it's usually someone who can't program well trying to get people to do the work for them. no offense if that is far from your intention, but i've seen it wayyyy too often.

Let's work on figuring out some more hardware functions and speeding up current emulators before rushing out to port something that'll run like ass and just inspire more posts of "WHY SO SLOWWWW THIS SUXXXx!!!1"

:)
Nilisco

Post by Nilisco »

Yep,he just wants to spearhead the operation and find a few coders to do all the work while he takes credit.

Good luck. =)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

"Developer requests" are actually off-topic. Moved.
_Psycho

Post by _Psycho »

on the CPU part, the N64 is a R4000 too isnt ? Might be able to do native emulation or some part, but I tend to agree without any GPU part of the PSP might be hard to get a good 3D going smooth, but who know :)
pixel

Post by pixel »

N64's CPU is big endian.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

pixel wrote:N64's CPU is big endian.
PSP's CPU is endian selectable.

Post by Guest »

mrbrown wrote:
pixel wrote:N64's CPU is big endian.
PSP's CPU is endian selectable.
Ok, but how then will that work ? I am not familiar naturally with the effects of switching the endianness of a CPU away from its default (or booted state). As soon as endianness is switched, wouldn't a completely different set of libraries/copy-of-flash in big-endian need to be available ? Or can it switch on the fly depending on whether its in kernel mode or user mode, and user mode is responsible for converting endianness of data being passed to the kernel via syscall ?

Just curious how all this works. :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

You have to have access to cop0 to switch endianess. It only affects user and supervisor mode, the kernel will always run in the default endian.
pixel

Post by pixel »

mrbrown wrote:You have to have access to cop0 to switch endianess. It only affects user and supervisor mode, the kernel will always run in the default endian.
Ah ha ? I didn't know this was restricted to non-kernel mode.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ector

Post by ector »

A much worse problem than endian-ness is that N64's MIPS is 64-bit while the one in the PSP is 32-bit. Of course, N64 games don't seem to use very much 64-bit ops so they can probably be emulated without too much speed loss, but if an N64 game uses double precision floating point.. there is no support in the PSP for that, so any double precision math will be dog slow. I'm not sure if N64 games use enough double precision for that to be a problem though.

Anyhow, a port of 1964 is probably not the best idea. If I had the time and motivation and lack of morals so I could use leaked source, I'd start with the UltraHLE source code, even though it's incomplete.
thehalo2renegade

well i found another emu im using that seems the most compatible and i think i have someone to help me with this project so thanks if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
thehalo2renegade

Hey PacMan here is the file

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/217720.zip
NBC

Post by NBC »

i see people telling that since its mips you can natively run code..but how do you do that ? you just make an inline fonction that call the asm related ?