compiling ps2menu

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

radad

compiling ps2menu

Post by radad »

I have been trying to compile ps2menu. I have some stuck on one issue. It can't find 'cdvd_rpc.h' and the functions CDVD_FlushCache, CDVD_GetDir, CDVD_Stop, and CDVD_Init.

It looks I should use 'libcdvd.h' instead where there is cdStop and cdInit but I haven't been able to fnd equivalents of CDVD_FlushCache and CDVD_GetDir. Anybody know where these are?
pixel

Post by pixel »

ps2menu is outdated. Really. It'd need lots of changes to compile again.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
radad

Post by radad »

Actually I am trying to compile LaunchElf but it depends on parts of ps2menu so I thought I would get that working first. LaunchELF also uses these CDVD_* functions. Where are they?
pixel

Post by pixel »

pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
evilo

Post by evilo »

if you look at my last sources of neocd (0.6a) http://neocd.ps2-scene.org/download/neo ... 6a-src.tgz you'll find inside a modified version of libcdvd (1.15) that compiles with the ps2sdk.
radad

Post by radad »

Thanks guys, that works. I was assuming it would be in ps2sdk somewhere or at least in the svn repository. I guess it is not in there because of the developers choice. It would seem it is not actively developed anymore so I would like to see it added to svn to capture changes like evilos or any other bug fixes and feature additions.
hexperience

Post by hexperience »

radad,

I've been wanting to work on LaunchELF as well. I'm still trying to get it to compile. If we can't get an svn branch, perhaps we could get a little group working on it.

I'm pretty rusty with my C and like I said I haven't been able to compile the source yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm doing it mostly for the learning experience and because I like LaunchELF and wanted to add some features to it.

If I'm too newbie for you, that's fine, just wanted to let you know I'm interested in doing that kind of project.

Cheers
Hex.
radad

Post by radad »

I was only wanting to get it to compile to learn from. I find the easiest way to learn is to get an existing program and make changes.

I believe dlanar is responsible for the unofficial launchelf, he lurks around these parts.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

radad wrote:I was only wanting to get it to compile to learn from. I find the easiest way to learn is to get an existing program and make changes.

I believe dlanar is responsible for the unofficial launchelf, he lurks around these parts.
I have made a few additions to it, and have some more planned, that's true. But then so has 'E P', and we've both made releases of 'uLaunchELF'. It would be wrong to say that either one of us is 'responsible' in the sense of 'owning' the project, we're just each responsible for our own contributions.

Best regards: dlanor
hexperience

Post by hexperience »

radad and dlanor,

Are you guys running under cygwin or linux or something else? I'm trying to get beyond compiling the samples included in the ps2sdk, which are great, but LaunchELF is what I want to learn on. I hope either of you don't mind giving me a hand to get it to compile?

I need libito for a start right?

Which answer did you use above for libcdvd?

Thanks... and cheers.
radad

Post by radad »

I am not using cygwin or linux. I am using prebuilt gcc for ps2 with some other unix utilities (ie rm, make, etc) on windows.

You do need libito but it wasn't the one in the svn repository on this site. I believe that one is a rewrite in C++. You need the older C version. I think I found it at the authors website.

I used the libcdvd from the link pixel gave. It was already compiled so it didn't need recompiling. It you were to recompile it you would probably need evilo changes.
hexperience

Post by hexperience »

Thanks for the help...

I can't find sbv_lite? I'm at this point:

Code: Select all

main.c: In function `drawMainScreen':
main.c:70: `ITO_VMODE_AUTO' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:70: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:70: for each function it appears in.)
main.c:70: `ITO_VMODE_NTSC' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function `RunElf':
main.c:371: warning: implicit declaration of function `ITO_RGBA'
main.c: In function `main':
main.c:422: `ITO_VMODE_AUTO' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:422: `ITO_VMODE_NTSC' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [main.o] Error 1
Again thanks for your help... sorry to be a pain...

I've tried libito 1.0 and 1.2. I'm using ooPo's linux toolchain.
radad

Post by radad »

I don't have those ITO_* defines in main.c. I compiled uLaunch3.41i. I am using libito v1.0 and they are not in there either.

As for sbv_lite, there is an sbv in the ps2sdk that I used.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

@hexperience:
@radad:

I'm using Cygwin with 'bash' as the main shell for all PS2DEV work. I have previously used another Win32 GCC version for PS2DEV, but then always had problems with 'make' reverting to use the normal Windows shell for invoked programs, which led to errors. With or without Cygwin, you must ensure that 'bash' is used as main shell at all 'make' levels. Otherwise many projects will fail to compile properly.

About sbv_lite: do NOT use it.
I had serious errors with that package, which went away completely when I switched to the sbv libs in PS2SDK. This is reflected in the main Makefile of uLaunchELF, which has been updated accordingly in releases by 'E P' and myself. So using that, you can simply forget this problem.

About libito:
Where the heck did you find those version numbers...???
I'm using 0.2.1 myself, and though 1.0.0 exists in SVN that's the latest one I know of.
There is no v1.2 available yet...

Available versions that I know of are: v0.1.0, v0.1.2, v0.2.0, v0.2.1, v1.0.0
Of these only the latest one exists in SVN, and that is NOT the version used with uLaunchELF. You need to find v0.2.1, unless you want to work through all the hassles of adapting the program to use the new lib...

radad

Post by radad »

Another check and it seems that the version of libito I am using is 0.2.1. Also the website I downloaded it from (www.mouthshut.net) has gone.

I don't use bash, just the normal windows shell, and I haven't come across any problems yet. I do, however, have windows builds of all the common tools.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

radad wrote:Another check and it seems that the version of libito I am using is 0.2.1. Also the website I downloaded it from (www.mouthshut.net) has gone.

I don't use bash, just the normal windows shell, and I haven't come across any problems yet. I do, however, have windows builds of all the common tools.
The problem is that many a Makefile contains invocations of programs and commands that simply can't work with the Windows shell, regardless of the exe files installed.

For example, Windows will not use an exe file at all, if its name matches a built-in function, unless the command includes the ".exe" extension (which makefiles never use). So for such commands the Windows shell uses its built-in routines, which are not compatible with unix-style paths and bash argument conventions.

There are other types of problems too, related to the difference in how arguments and variable expansions are handled.

Believe me, I did NOT switch to Cygwin because I like it, but I got tired of being able to handle only half of the projects I tried, using the old tools. Though I'm still not fond of Cygwin itself, I must say that it has proven far more useful for PS2DEV work than the other Win32 solutions I've seen.

pixel

Post by pixel »

dlanor wrote:Believe me, I did NOT switch to Cygwin because I like it, but I got tired of being able to handle only half of the projects I tried, using the old tools. Though I'm still not fond of Cygwin itself, I must say that it has proven far more useful for PS2DEV work than the other Win32 solutions I've seen.
You should give mingw/msys a try.