Web Browser in Wipeout Pure

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

senas8

Web Browser in Wipeout Pure

Post by senas8 »

Here is some work by the user name roto. Interesting indeed...he got the psp to surf the net with the wipeout pure web browser on the psp.

Quote: "Full writeup of how I did this is coming soon...lets just say it involved FreeBSD, BIND, and a LOT of packet sniffing and rebuilding...those of you that understand that already know how I did what I did. It was easy once I figured out what the Wipeout browser was seeking (/wipeout/US_holding_page.jpg). Basically I sniffed the packets that the browser was seding out and receiving. I then fired up my own DNS/HTTP servers and redirected the PSP's access to my data. I changed the PSP's default nameservers to the one on my LAN. Etc, etc.

Forgive me for the sucktacular HTML and ugly pics/etc...it's 3am and I wanted to finish this up today.

http://mozy.org/psp/
MarioD

You might want to have a look at this then...

Post by MarioD »

Awhite

Post by Awhite »

Hmm nice, correct my if i'm wrong mario, that page say only that someone found out that psp loads a page, Roto loaded his own page :P
Ioannis KarAvas
MarioD

Post by MarioD »

Awhite wrote:Hmm nice, correct my if i'm wrong mario, that page say only that someone found out that psp loads a page, Roto loaded his own page :P
You're right. I was thinking about the date that page was posted. I'm curious as to what the source was of the original post.

Mario
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

As am I. I cannot get to the link http://mozy.org/psp/
And I'm REALLY curious about this (and I think I know how he got it to work.)
first, you need to rebind ingame.scea.com to your local webserver, then place the page /wipeout/index.html on your local webserver, maybe with a link to specific sites (I kind of doubt the PSP has a method for inputting data in this embedded web browser -- that'll probably wait for the firmware release) but it appears that it can display HTML, PNGs, GIFs, and JPEGs.
Something tells me sony paid unisys for the gif support ;)

SCEJ PSP BROWSER 0102pspNavigator
Looks like this might already be built into the firmware, much like the dial-a-key is. Future firmware upgrades may knock wipeout into a general purpouse browser that just happens to automatically go to the wipeout download page. This appears to be version 1.02. Anyone got a mirror of Roto's data?
gprime

Post by gprime »

I read the page quickly before it went down. I forget what it said, but it was something along the lines of using his FreeBSD box as his nameserver (and router?) so it would fetch his own site when looking for the wipeout site. From here he had a site a with his own links, and could navigate anywhere from here, including his other sites and even slashdot. Very cool hack.
roto

Post by roto »

Kamilion wrote:As am I. I cannot get to the link http://mozy.org/psp/
And I'm REALLY curious about this (and I think I know how he got it to work.)
first, you need to rebind ingame.scea.com to your local webserver, then place the page /wipeout/index.html on your local webserver, maybe with a link to specific sites (I kind of doubt the PSP has a method for inputting data in this embedded web browser -- that'll probably wait for the firmware release) but it appears that it can display HTML, PNGs, GIFs, and JPEGs.
Something tells me sony paid unisys for the gif support ;)

SCEJ PSP BROWSER 0102pspNavigator
Looks like this might already be built into the firmware, much like the dial-a-key is. Future firmware upgrades may knock wipeout into a general purpouse browser that just happens to automatically go to the wipeout download page. This appears to be version 1.02. Anyone got a mirror of Roto's data?
Hey, my webserver died so all I have is local data...but here's the jist of it:

As far as I can figure out, its NOT part of the firmware...But this can be made into a general purpose browser if you create a portal-like site to jumps to links. When you select "Go to home page" it returns you to the portal site (index.html). So thats an easy way out.

Yes you can use input (we googled stuff), when you enter a textbox and press X the PSP pops up the Keyboard API (remember there's alot of API to be taken advantage of with the PSP). After that its as simple as any other input on the PSP.

The way I loaded up my own "page" is by setting up my FreeBSD machine with some DNS entries that point ingame.scea.com and webcluster.scea.com and all NS's for scea.com to my internal LAN machine. So then I changed the PSP's NameServer settings to point to the server on my local LAN (FreeBSD machine). When the Wipeout client accesses http://ingame.scea.com/wipeout/index.html it gets my LOCAL file because of the DNS mapping.
It's all pretty simple after that. I made a static page with a bunch of spring-board (or portal-like I guess) links to access from the PSP.

Browsing is simple enough, up and down to move from link to link. D-Pad only though. Also there is no cursor anywhere, and no title-bars. If there is no link in the nearest vicinity, the PSP just scrolls the page (awesome). Entering links is X, refresh page is []. Again entering text into boxes pops up the API.

JavaScript works (Again API for Alert boxes, NEAT feature), Java is yet to be tested. Frames don't work. Large pictures are to be tested too. Uhm I think thats it for now. Most of HTML works (no H1's and stuff). Background colors and pics etc work fine. I know I'm forgetting something so if you have questions, please ask.

Wow my site is dead...damn Engadget!
omlette

Post by omlette »

mirrored

http://www.omlette.net/mirror/up/PSPWebsite.zip

http://www.omlette.net/mirror/up/psp_ha ... o-xvid.avi

EDIT: The PSPWebsite.zip was an incomplete copy of the site, but it has been fixed and the complete thing is now uploaded.
Last edited by omlette on Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
roto

Post by roto »

Thanks to everyone. Again I do not (and have never) claimed to be the FIRST person to do this. Think anything you want to think.

More mirrors:

http://www.fumanchuu.com/pspdev/

http://www.xtorrent.net/psp/

http://roto.omlette.net/

Similar pursuit and similar results (awesome timing too):
http://psp-vault.com/module-pnForum-vie ... ic-156.psp

(BTW, please don't take all the l33t talk seriously. And to the engadget poster who said the video sucks...THANKS BUDDY! I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOUR PRODUCTION-QUALITY VIDEO CAMERA IN THE MAIL!)
Last edited by roto on Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wombatm

Post by wombatm »

Hey roto, add me to the list who was working on this simultaneously.

http://www.wombatmobile.com/blojsom/blo ... owser.html

:)
roto

Post by roto »

wombatm wrote:Hey roto, add me to the list who was working on this simultaneously.

http://www.wombatmobile.com/blojsom/blo ... owser.html

:)
Thats freaking awesome! Congrats man.
Agntneo

Post by Agntneo »

/me claps his hands.

Bravo roto, really interesting that Wipeout has a browser included.
I wonder if you could have a chance to upload/ download files with it, perhaps access the memory card or even see the UMD contents?
If so are they encrypted?

I think I will buy Wipeout pure, but the PSP isn't released in Europe yet.
Well good luck to you roto.
I hope you get some more experimenting with this.
By the way, what firmware version are you using?
I don't belive it uses anything from the firmware though, just a thought.

Thanks.
roto

Post by roto »

Agntneo wrote:/me claps his hands.

Bravo roto, really interesting that Wipeout has a browser included.
I wonder if you could have a chance to upload/ download files with it, perhaps access the memory card or even see the UMD contents?
If so are they encrypted?

I think I will buy Wipeout pure, but the PSP isn't released in Europe yet.
Well good luck to you roto.
I hope you get some more experimenting with this.
By the way, what firmware version are you using?
I don't belive it uses anything from the firmware though, just a thought.

Thanks.
I haven't had a chance to test uploading/donloading...but thats already planned...i'm kind of getting burned out after 4 hours of (hesitant) sleep. I would LOVE to be able to read teh contents of the UMD drive...but thats highly unlikely...but i'll see what I can find.

I'm using USA's 1.50 firmware...yeah I dunno why I said it's in the firmware... *shrug*. But anyway..don't just buy the game for the browser (hehe) buy it because it's fun!

Later folks. Keep up the good work.

*UPDATE*: Oh. My. God. I can't type.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

Wow... I guess I'm a little late to the party.

I just discovered this, and posted some pics and such over here http://dan.liquidm3dia.com/gaming/pspbo ... owtopic=56

Roto:
I'm not sure what qualifies as a large picture, but a 3.3mb Jpeg didn't work.
Telling it to go to file:///, file:///dev, file:///mnt/ brought up the reconnect dialog after a brief pause.

Telling it to go to 127.0.0.1 went to wipeout/127.0.0.1 (didn't work)

It can't see Flash Animations, it likes the Japanese font (some sites show up with Japanese characters on the edges) and it seems to be fairly slow loading pages.

Browser Identification: SCEJ PSP BROWSER1.0

Tried downloading a MP3 file... it didn't work.

More later...
Naota

Post by Naota »

hey great job roto and thanks for sharing this with us. have you tried making a on the page that you redirect the psp to that has a video file that is supported by the psp. I think the browser function isn't the wipeout game its self.

wipe out just offers a way to give the psp the command to browse the web. the psp is capable of web browsing sony for some reason wanted it locked for now. Props to you guys though for figuring it out.

If you put a psp playable video (a video file in mp4 format) you just might be able to get it to stream. And if you can do that then people can start streaming video directly from thier home servers. Just a thought maybe you can give it a try for us. thanks.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

Hey Naota,

I tried having it open a 9.8 MB MP4 file (from Sony's Connect.com), but it died partway through (it was reading data though).

My guess, (trying a *.PBP file), is that it will open it up in text mode. If I make a smaller MP4 file, I'll try it.
Naota

Post by Naota »

tbirdsaw, when it was reading what happened exactly. Maybe it would work better if you tried linking directly to a supported video file. It wold be awesome if you could get it to work. Then you could redirected the psp to a page on your server that has your own video file archive and watch it wirelessly with out using the memory stick. The http protocol wouldn't be the best for streaming but until an app is developed to set up something like a smb client then this would have to do. good luck :).

edit: and if it can't process video via the browser it might audio.
junker

Post by junker »

A W E S O M E!
i'm glad i bought wipeout! awesome game, and browser potential!
Naota

Post by Naota »

the reason the browser is slow is probably because sony has capped the processor's speed at 222MHz which is only 66.7% of the 333MHz it's capable of. I guess a firmware update/upgrade that includes a browsing application will be released that also uncaps the processor and is more efficient and using the psp's browsing function then the wipeout game launch screen is.

sony might be waiting till they can ensure the batterylife won't be drastically decreased to release an app that will tax all 333MHz of the processor. just a few thoughts.
junker

Post by junker »

i see! but when games are played, the speed cap is removed, no?
Naota

Post by Naota »

I don't think so. Maybe some games maybe just for video. I havn't a clue but It being capped would explain it browsing slowly.
Yoorah

Post by Yoorah »

I doubt the cap is removed for certain application at the moment, and we will probably have to wait quite a while before they uncap it. I'm going to wait for that 65nm version PSP... too bad I have a long wait ahead of me. :P
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
romhacker

Post by romhacker »

Can someone please explain to me how the forwarding of the DNS goes, where how should the config look for treewalk? I cant find where to add this. I got the proxy working and all, I just need the DNS to forward.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

OK... I've figured out the following:

The PSP doesn't like files bigger than at least 2.8MB. (Probably smaller). If the file is too big, it will download as much as it can, and then it will bring up the Wireless Connection dialog.

It will download a 588K MP4 file, encoded for the PSP, but it doesn't play it (and it is not saved on the Memory Stick). After a grey screen, it goes back to the directory view. I'm going to try a direct link (like you suggested). I can tell it is doing something because the WLAN light flashes for about 10 seconds.

edit: It doesn't work if it is directly linked. It flashes grey for a second (after downloading the whole file) and then goes back to the previous webpage.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

Also... Audio-Wise, MP3s or AT3 (from the Wipeout savegame) don't work. Even if I keep the files small... the browser will either not respond, or act very sluggish.
tbirdsaw

Post by tbirdsaw »

More.... It seems that if I try to view Large text files, it will refuse to display them if they are bigger than ~250K. If they are smaller, then it will display the first 12K of the file, and nothing of the rest. This needs more testing to verify.
Naota

Post by Naota »

Intresting stuff guys, keep up the good work.
Memphis

Post by Memphis »

To know the downloadable stuff is just a matter of discovering the acceptable mime types.

About Java and Flash, I really doubt that Sony would put 3rd party software on PSP without any HUGE announcement.

I wish I had a PSP here to test all these stuff..
andy0482

Post by andy0482 »

I really don’t think the browser is part of the game. I think it is most likely built into the PSP itself.

Reasons:

1. Why would the developers go to the trouble to write or include a full browser when most game developers are more interested in the title itself?

2. I have noticed in all the games I have there are a few screen that look 100% the same. If you go to the save game menu in any of the games I have (Wipeout, Acid, Untold Legends) you will notice they all look, feel and work the same. I think it is likely how the developers call a load function. The PSP might use that screen like an open dialog box in windows. I think the browser is the same thing. If someone can find similar functionality in another game I am betting that game will look similar.

3. Also when you are in the “Browser” make note how you have to get out. If you press the square button it seems to reload the page or maybe it’s a back button. You have to ht start and exit out that way. Also look at that menu and how it matches others like the save game menus.

Any thoughts??
Defender

Post by Defender »