PSP using a USB Thumb Drive

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mrwonkothesane42

PSP using a USB Thumb Drive

Post by mrwonkothesane42 »

I am glad to see the article on the device to use other types of memory sticks on the PSP. So here is a question to those out there who understand the firmware of the PSP:

the PSP recognizes the memory stick duo as a drive from which to get stored data, SO, what would it entail to get it to recognize a USB flash drive via the USB port. Already adapters are made to connect a thumb drive to a port such as the one in the PSP, but of course when I do this, nothing happens.

Just like windows and other OS, the PSP goes out and identifies what hardware its got, for instance when I plug in a memory stick duo it instantly detects it and tells me how full it is and what s on it.

How hard would it be to do this for the USB flash drives? As opposed to a clunky box all you need is a short cable attaching the USB drive and the PSP.

I would love to know who to research this myself, but I have no idea of how to go about poking and prodding around in the PSP's firmware.
Don't Panic! (In big friendly letters)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Requests for USB devices as memorycards already. Oi!
mrwonkothesane42

usb drives + PSP

Post by mrwonkothesane42 »

I am really just looking for the best solution for mass storage in a compact space. I have a PSP, I really don't want to carry around a iPod too. understand the nonsense of adding too much and negating the portability of a device, but the PSP is sooooo close to being my one stop shop for multimedia on the go.

So really is USB thumb drive capability so much to ask?
Don't Panic! (In big friendly letters)

Re: usb drives + PSP

Post by Guest »

mrwonkothesane42 wrote:I am really just looking for the best solution for mass storage in a compact space. So really is USB thumb drive capability so much to ask?
Memorystick Duo is way more compact than a USB thumb drive. Hence, it is the best solution for mass storage in a compact space. It is compact for sure.
senas8

Re: usb drives + PSP

Post by senas8 »

gorim wrote:
mrwonkothesane42 wrote:I am really just looking for the best solution for mass storage in a compact space. So really is USB thumb drive capability so much to ask?
Memorystick Duo is way more compact than a USB thumb drive. Hence, it is the best solution for mass storage in a compact space. It is compact for sure.
I agree... and with 2GB coming soon ...but look at the capacity on this....
Ben

Post by Ben »

I would imagine if possible it would be a battery drain.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Hmm. since i havent yet even seen a psp, (damned late .au release), i just want to clear some stuff up...
I'm not to fluent with usb terminology, but from what i gather, there's 3 main classes of usb devices:
Host, client and hub. (or whatever the official names are, but you get the picture!)
and that hosts can only connect to clients, with optionally a hub inbetween, hence the need for the special prolific cables to connect a ps2 and a pc (two 'host type' devices) via usb. it contains some sort of chip that acts as a host->client turnaround, if you will.

Now since the psp can act as a mass storage device (to access the mem stick) its configured as a client (or prepherial, or whatever) same goes with any thumb drives.
So by the same logic, wouldn't there need to be additional hardware between the two to enable any of this? does client<->client cable/chip exist?

But on the other hand, if the keyboard and other stuff is connected via usb (is it?) the i guess the psp also has host capacity, in which case, please disregard this entire post. :)
Either way, could someone with more usb / psp knowledge please shed some light??

cheers,
-cheriff
Damn, I need a decent signature!
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

Ben wrote:I would imagine if possible it would be a battery drain.
No more than a MemStickDuoPro surely? Afterall its the same difference, flash memory but in a USB key instead of a bespoke package.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

Hooking up USB adapter cables alone is not enough, either are drivers.

Unless the PSP hardware supports "USB On The Go" (USB-OTG) in both hardware and software this simple cable scenario isn't going to happen.

AFAIK the PSP doesn't support USB-OTG (at least not now -- how it does the keyboard is still only guesswork see below)

The PSP USB hardware does work as a USB device / client. This means you can hook up the PSP USB cable to a PC and use the PSP as a storage device, not the other way around.
"USB on the go" devices can do both.

http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego

----
> ...So by the same logic, wouldn't there need to be additional hardware between the two to enable any of this? does client<->client cable/chip exist

Correct. Either the device needs to support USB-OTG itself in which case regular cables will work, or a separate hardware device to act like two USB hosts (like a reverse of the PS2 <-> PC connection box)

> if the keyboard and other stuff is connected via usb (is it?) the ...
Don't know about the keyboard. From the one photo I've seen it does have the cable going to the top of the unit hooking into the USB and DC power connectors
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail ... 6he5x223r/
With the disclaimer:
"this particular product image is only a mock and changes are being made to the final product. "

My guess is they will hook into the USB port in some way.
Whether they support the full blown USB host protocol or not (full USB-OTG) is another mystery, for now.
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

Actually, the PSP's USB is setup as a combination Host/Slave arrangement.
Normally, it's in host mode and devices can be connected directly to the device.
When you select USB Connection, it loads the USB slave handler.

Take a look at Linux's "USB Gadget" extentions in the kernel. They can make nearly any embedded USB host controller act like a slave device.

Problem is, there's just no drivers for the devices in firmware.
Much like the PS2 -- if you connect an eyetoy to the PS2's USB port, and then put in a game that doesn't use the eyetoy (no driver on disc) then it sits there without doing anything, the same as if you connect a USB memory stick to programs that don't support them. However, as it's USB, drivers are easy to make -- look at Datel's Pro Action Replay Max EVO. It comes with a USB thumbdrive for use with the PS2.

So, it's just a matter of time, and I think Datel is looking at the PSP as well. We shall see if sony will actually grant them use of the UMD duplicators...
yourworstmemory

Post by yourworstmemory »

it would be amazing if somehow someone can hack a driver to use usb on the go hard drives, etc. i already got one of those and it would be great to be able to use it to store songs and movies on.
calavera

Post by calavera »

it would be good if someone made a duo to usb conveter :D so you plug in the duo stick and from that comes a usb lead to plug into usb hardrives etc

come to think of it.. has anyone tried to put a duo usb card reader into the usb port on the psp?
danielglez

Post by danielglez »

Hi,
I have just read that sony has announced that one of the first USB Devices that will release is the " PSP Memokin" That is a thumb drive of 512MB, but with a weird design.

The full Story is here: http://www.todopsp.com/content/view/237/1/ (It´s in Spanish)

ADDED: Sorry, it have been alredy posted