A PSP Browser ready for Korean Release

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Effayy

A PSP Browser ready for Korean Release

Post by Effayy »

Hi all. First of all, I've been lurking around the past few days and I'm impressed with the knowledge floating around this place. I've always wanted to sink my teeth into console development but the truth is I've only really ever worked with small little business applications built in VB etc. hey, it pays the bills at least. :)

Anyway, I read this little tidbit on IGN and thought I'd share. By teh sounds of it, if they plan on a browser available for the Korean releas ein May, what are the odds we'll see a new firmware update with the browser by that date as well?

---------------------------------------
Korea Nets PSP
Sony's handheld comes to Korea with a special online bonus feature.
by Nix

March 28, 2005 - While North American PSP buyers can currently only browse the web via unofficial means, Sony Computer Entertainment is delivering in one nation an entirely online-enabled package at launch for the PlayStation Portable.

SCEK announced the release date and package details for the PSP launch in Korea. The system will be launched in that nation on May 2, 2005, and will be priced at
328,000 (approx $322 by today's currency.) 100,000 units will be launched in the country. The Value Pack package to be launched in Korea will be similar to the North American and Japanese Value Pack PSP releases (and, similar to the NA release, there will only be the Value Pack at launch in Korea), including the PSP system, AC Adapter & power cord, a battery pack, Memory Stick Duo, headphone & remote control, pouch, strap, cleaning cloth and Spider-Man 2 UMD Video.

Also included in the package is a NESPOT Network Utility UMD disk and a free temporary subscription to the online wireless service. SCEK has partnered with major Korean network provider KT Corp to allow online content via the PlayStation Portable. With the service, gamers can connect to KT's line of NESPOT HotSpots (over 14,000 are installed throughout Korea) or purchase a home subscription to the service for their own wireless network. Once signed up, NESPOT customers can access various KT content, including Video On Demand and Music On Demand, as well as browse the web and go online with SCEK's 'Infrastructure Mode' games (which will use KT's service for the play network). One game from SCE Korea, a previously confirmed title called GloRace, has been announced to use the service for its online PSP functionality.

Korea is one of the most internet-connected countries in the world, so it makes sense for SCE to put special priority on the Korean launch's online capabilities. Since KT is only a provider for the Korean online market, the functionality doesn't hold much interest for import buyers. And with the NESPOT Network Utility being specially designed for that service, developments on this technology may not necessarily carry over to America anytime soon. However, it is expected that SCE is working with a number of network providers to enable more online functionality with PSP, so stay tuned for info on how the Korean PSP launch goes and what this may mean for future online handheld use.

----------------------------------------

Fun fun. :)

- FA
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Now why would they do this...I hope with the launch for korea..... an update would be available around the world for the Internet access.. You would think!
grayer

Post by grayer »

hey, i live in korea. :)

The article is almost true, but there is no chance to browse web sites.

The only site you can browse will be "http://psp.paran.com", which is down currrently. the site is for VOD or Internet TV service.

Here's some information from SCEK about this

- Network Utility UMD will not be on the market.

- The browser which's included this UMD is just for NETSPOT Contens.

- You cannot use this browser for general purpose.

- The media player which's included this UMD is just for playing streaming movie via network.

sorry for poor english :)
Awhite

Post by Awhite »

hmm not not not not ONLY ONLY ONY ? :P
That means one thing :P We'll try to change that. I'm sure dns, etc will be handy hacking that browser :P
Ioannis KarAvas
furybryan

Post by furybryan »

nice to meet you... Korean~

I'm from Korea,too ^^;;
Have FUN ~~!!
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

senas8 wrote:Now why would they do this...I hope with the launch for korea..... an update would be available around the world for the Internet access.. You would think!
Because the Koreans are the most internet enabled people in the world who are used to on the move internet. Makes perfect sense for Sony to capture the market in Korea using such a strategy.

Perhaps if other nations showed as much commitment to mobile technologies Sony would have had a broswer ready for every PSP.
Naota

Post by Naota »

yeah and if the US government didn't favor individual company agendas to the progress and development of the nations highspeed Internet infrustructure as a whole then we'd have those functions here too.
M2

Post by M2 »

I can't site sources... but I've heard more along the lines of June for another firmware release/update.

These days... the dates are constantly changing - ie - the European release.

However... as a general user (and not as an employee who has heard anything)... one has to wonder what the USB keyboard will be for? I certainly can't imagine it's to type in your name for games.
M2.

Post by Guest »

M2 wrote:one has to wonder what the USB keyboard will be for? I certainly can't imagine it's to type in your name for games.
The PSP version of Nethack ???
M2

Post by M2 »

IM client?

Notation taking for meetings ;)

... I honestly have no idea. It has a lot of potential, definitely.
M2.
wombatm

Post by wombatm »

Have you guys confirmed that the browser will be coming in a firmware update?

I know about the leaked firmware update from a while ago with the browser and other net utilities, but there are a couple of things that bug me about this:

1) Do you think Sony would deploy a browser via firmware to U.S. and Japan while restricting Korea to the browser via UMD that's locked to one ISP (NESPOT) and keep them on a different firmware version. I think NESPOT would be pissed if Sony gave Korean users a builtin browser that competed with their UMD disc and subscription.

2) Sony seems to like things closed and under control (UMD, Memory Stick) . An open browser in the firmware that's not tied to an ISP seems unlike them when they could get money from a partnership that tries to restrict the net access.

3)This quote concerns me:

"However, it is expected that SCE is working with a number of network providers to enable more online functionality with PSP, so stay tuned for info on how the Korean PSP launch goes and what this may mean for future online handheld use. "

If Sony worked out a partnership with a hotspot provider for a locked in UMD browser in Korea, would it seem logical for them to do likewise for the U.S and Japan?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but giving out a browser just doesn't seem the Sony way. We already bought the device w/o it, they'll try to milk us for more money.

Any thoughts?

I ranted some more about this earlier on my blog:
http://wombatmobile.com/blog