Great USB Sniffer

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

enzima

Great USB Sniffer

Post by enzima »

I found this tool to sniff the data that gets trafer to the PSP
There is a lot of information, let see what we can learn from this tool
This is the Download URL
http://www.sourcequest.com/

pdc

Post by pdc »

I looked for a USB sniffer and this is regarded as the best free one:

http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/
mc

Post by mc »

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but what exactly are you planning to achieve by snooping the USB bus? The protocol used to access the memorystick is regular USB mass storage, which is well known and documented, and the actual data carried will be exactly the data you read and write from the stick. So what additional knowledge do you expect to find by going to this low level? Just curious...

(Snooping the USB bus of the PSP when external peripherals, such as the alleged keyboard, are connected to it might be useful, but this program simply seems to display the normal USB communication of your PC, which means that the PSP has to be connected to it in client mode.)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
mc

Post by mc »

Btw, the mass storage specifications can be found here: http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs#approved
Look under the "Mass Storage" heading.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
fwaggle

Post by fwaggle »

mc wrote:The protocol used to access the memorystick is regular USB mass storage, which is well known and documented, and the actual data carried will be exactly the data you read and write from the stick. So what additional knowledge do you expect to find by going to this low level? Just curious...
i was gonna mention that too, but you beat me to it. the fact that the protocol is an established one is evident by the fact that it works on things like freebsd/linux directly out of the box.

Code: Select all

Mar 31 07:36:06 sugarbaby /kernel: umass0: Sony PSP Type A, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3
Mar 31 07:36:06 sugarbaby /kernel: da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Mar 31 07&#58;36&#58;06 sugarbaby /kernel&#58; da0&#58; <Sony PSP 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
Mar 31 07&#58;36&#58;06 sugarbaby /kernel&#58; da0&#58; 650KB/s transfers
Mar 31 07&#58;36&#58;06 sugarbaby /kernel&#58; da0&#58; 30MB &#40;63424 512 byte sectors&#58; 64H 32S/T 30C&#41;
about the only thing i can see that's even remotely interesting is the version shit, but it looks as though that stuff was just thrown in there to make the USB specs shut the hell up - it doesn't appear to have any relation to the actual firmware versions.

probably a useless post, but oh well :)