Remap X & O on Jap PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dabs

Remap X & O on Jap PSP?

Post by dabs »

is there any way as of yet to switch the X and O buttons on a Jap PSP?

It is confusing having them switch around in and out of games..

thanks in advance.
dabs

Post by dabs »

no then?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Not yet, at least. It annoys me, too. :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

It might be a registry setting. The updater seems to access a registry key called 'button_assign' under /CONFIG/SYSTEM/XMB.
Darkcreator

Post by Darkcreator »

this maybe kinda off topic but I have a us 1.52 psp and a jap 1.0 and when since we all know music and movies are region coded I put my us demo disc inside my 1.0 and only the games part came up not movies or music which makes me wonder that the region coding isnt on the umd its in the psp so I wonder if we can somehow change the psp so it will pay umd from all regions its just a thought feel free to improve
whats up ?
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

hah why on earth would you want to remap O and X, the US way is so illogic ;______________;
I precisely bought a Jap ps2 and Jap PSP *NOT* to have to struggle with this idiotic change. I also hate any game that uses those inversed settings and even had to hack a controller to play FFX-2 in english with proper controller config. If only US companies took exemple on Konami, which doesn't seem to give a damn about switching controls! (MGS2 & MGS3 jap, pal & us; all have the same buttons config)..

This is really something that drives me crazy, Nintendo at the time didn't do that on Snes and Sony for some dumb fuckin* twisted reason decides to screw with our heads :/

Doesn't " X " shout in your mind: stop, cancel, danger, back, etc??
I guess i'll never grasp the concept why sony did that, unless some executive had nothing better to do to justify his salary, hates Japan or something..

I can understand that if you're used to the US way, it can be a pain to switch to the Japanese one, but i mean, why the change in the first place :/

2cents.
Later,

Alcahest
pixel

Post by pixel »

Alcahest wrote:I guess i'll never grasp the concept why sony did that, unless some executive had nothing better to do to justify his salary, hates Japan or something..
I've heard an urban legend that it's because japanese people have smaller fingers, thus it's better for them to reach "O" as the fire button than the americans, for whom it's better to reach the "X" button as the fire button. Well, I think it's an hoax anyway :)
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

O and X make sense to be yes and no...

Why they changed it for the US folk, I'll never know.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Well a lot of PS2 games these days map "cancel" to Triangle. What a crazy world we live in.
Kysen

Post by Kysen »

O is the japanese symbol for a tick and X is the symbol for a cross lol. so it makes sense to them
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Whats worse is that (where i live anyway...) some games, most notably MGS stick to O/X - Ok/Cancel, while most others are X/A (ie triangle) I tend to stick with one game for a few weeks then change, and this throws me EVERY time... but maybe i'm just thick...
Damn, I need a decent signature!
theno23

Post by theno23 »

Japanse signage is X for exit (as you go in, i.e. no entry) and O for entry, eg. in train stations. That is confusing at first.

Though, as a european, it's driving me nuts too! Not enough to want to mess with my flash to fix it though. It would have been better if sony had just idoctinated us to the Japanses way with the PS2 and left all the games that way round. The O is in a better place afterall.

- Steve
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

I couldn't possibly disagree more. As an American gamer, it's been driven into my head that the "advance" button is the one at the bottom. That's just what makes the most sense to me. I don't care if it says x, o, triangle or has a picture of a bunny rabbit on it. If I want to advance through the menu system, I'm going to press the button at the bottom.

That's the real difference here, not really so much the icon, as I do agree that x would make the most logical "back" button. Quite frankly whoever came up with the x,o,triangle, square theme on the PlayStation needs a bullet in the head. That's the most illogical button system ever.

To kinda get this back on topic, do you think that the coders of say, NesterJ or some of the other more popular home-brewed software would mind if someone released "Americanized" versions of their software with the buttons remapped? With all credit given where it's due of course.
theno23

Post by theno23 »

On at least some of them you can remat the buttons yourself, eg. in the config of one of the SNES emulators.
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

You can change the way they behave once a rom is loaded, but to my knowledge you can't change the way the buttons behave in the menus.