psp-dev have released their exploit for ver. 1.5

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Techit wrote:eh .. well... wasnt sure if they were the same as for other emulators.
emulators are not illegal. if thats what your getting at. emulators can be used for development purposes. roms are, because they are illegal copies of comericial games.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Marco_N

Post by Marco_N »

IF you (1) currently own the ROM and (2) dumped it yourself and (3) only use one copy of said ROM at a time THEN it's perfectly legal to play it using an emulator.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Marco_N wrote:IF you (1) currently own the ROM and (2) dumped it yourself and (3) only use one copy of said ROM at a time THEN it's perfectly legal to play it using an emulator.
well thats true, thats why mochips arent really illegal. they are for people to play there back up games ;P
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

As we wander off topic, may I remind you two that you're both not lawyers and really aren't qualified to be giving legal opinions.

May I also remind you to get back on topic.
FrostAie

hey 2 cents i wanna put in

Post by FrostAie »

hey long time reader and finally going to start posting more.
alright guys im a dumb 13 year old who got bored so i updated to 1.51(flame me) any ways What is different from 1.5 and 1.51 does it check the file differently, do u think 1.51 will ever be able to run unsigned code, via swaping MS. Thanks!

Post by Guest »

No one here is in a position to say 1.51 and 1.52 will not be able to run homebrew code. All one can say is, right now, no one has released a way to do it. I can also say I haven't heard of anyone finding a way, but it has been obvious that people have been looking for ways for some time now.
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

So is a mod ever going to update the locked sticky at the top of this section? Some of us actually did sign up for email notifications of when that thread would be updated thinking that would be a timely way of getting notified if something huge like this ever did happen.

Post by Guest »

Èl Nächó wrote:... thinking that would be a timely way of getting notified if something huge like this ever did happen.
I have a big smile on my face at the moment. :) Excuse me while it turns into laughter.

There, better now.
Fabre

Post by Fabre »

I was under the impression that it was as simple as changing the version number in the 1.5 updater to 1.53 for example, and then the PSP will flash the older 1.5 firmware over the newer firmware thinking it is updating.
gyges

Post by gyges »

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:52 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Èl Nächó wrote:
... thinking that would be a timely way of getting notified if something huge like this ever did happen.

Gorim Wrote:
I have a big smile on my face at the moment. :) Excuse me while it turns into laughter.

There, better now.
Poor Gorim, you must be really embarassed that silly old psp-dev got there before you? But don't worry, we know you tried hard...

Post by Guest »

gyges wrote:Poor Gorim, you must be really embarassed that silly old psp-dev got there before you? But don't worry, we know you tried hard...
Haha, now I am really smiling.

You think I or anyone I know was even trying to get there at all ? :)
/me pats my 2 1.0 psp's. (the ones that are still working)
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

Thanks for the update to the sticky gorim. Also thanks for being a prick about it. Since you're mod here, I wouldn't have expected it any other way.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Why someone relies on a development forum to notify him of general news, I'll never understand. Especially so given his general opinion of the admins here.

*shrug*
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Funny thing is, had the release been a hoax and gorim had immediately updated the post with "OMG 1.5 #4x0rd! rofl lol" then all the lemmings would've ran and executed anything at all. Then came back complaining how gorim is a prick because he didn't warn them that it may brick their psp and/or windows install.
For someone obviously so very really keen to keep up with the latest, is checking the forum really that much more hassle than email? nowait, i forgot - messenger has that fun little popup thingy right...
Damn, I need a decent signature!

Post by Guest »

Èl Nächó wrote:Thanks for the update to the sticky gorim. Also thanks for being a prick about it. Since you're mod here, I wouldn't have expected it any other way.
I understand your feeling. I was feeling a bit put-out that I had to update the sticky myself. It was Herben who wrote that, and I didn't even read it, so not knowing that people were waiting on it to be updated. I assure you, I will have a few words with Herben about this matter, and his failure to be more responsible.

Please accept my apologies for taking it out on you. My attitude was definitely uncalled for. If you are not satisified with my apology, please talk it over with my manager, Oopo.

Sincerely,
Gorim
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

Thank you for the apology gorim, I accept, and I'm sorry I called you a prick. I've never really had an issue with the way you personally moderate here.

And ooPo I never said that I used this site as my main source of information, which should be evidant by the fact that I found out about the exploit from another site, But I did always have it in the back of my mind that the thread would be updated (like it said it would be, mind you) so if I didn't check my normal sites for a day or two, I'd still get email notification. I figured I'd get flamed for even bringing it up, but like gorim said one of your mods here made a promise to update that thread and didn't follow through. I wasn't pissed about it, I was just trying to think of the people that maybe don't check on these things every day.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Well, blame Herben for not updating when he gets back from wherever he went.

Post by Guest »

ooPo wrote:Well, blame Herben for not updating when he gets back from wherever he went.
Oh, he had an excuse ? ;)
Topknot

Post by Topknot »

@nacho but only partly mate so please dont take offence :) Its not a flame, Im just seeing so many similar posts its untrue:

My word, you people make me chuckle.. you all clamour for an exploit and cant actually contribute anything more usefull than the obligatory 'Idea for an exploit' posts or 'I really think this [insert dumb idea] will help us reflash back to 1.0' topics.. no workable code, no exploit, nothing but you all want someone else to do it for you... when homebrew IS released, most people want the idiots guide to installing homebrew re-written even MORE idiot proof for them rather than doing some work and reading up and getting a better understanding of how things work.. and now this last post by nacho has really tickled me, lol... Its not enough that people want, exploits creating for them, guides creating, dumb questions answered that only require a 2 minute search of the forums.. but now your actually getting a little narky with an admin because you couldnt be bothered checking the site? No-one here owes you that knowledge.. its a dev forum, for creating and testing code.. you want the news, go browse the site/sites that have the news.. again, a 2 minute search at this forum would have told you all the info you need and yet you want an emial notification of it..

(EDIT 1: 15:50 - After re-reading this first paragraph it may have come across that I was saying that about the majority of people on here.. Im not and those I am speaking about know who you are...)

This now means, you want the exploit but cant contribute to making it, you want answers to questions that can be found with the search tool but you wont use it... now its at the point where you want someone else to notify you that news has been posted rather than doing it yourself... ('you' not literally meaning you nacho, but the general forum visitor you know what I mean)

A huge collection of you are leechers who get indignant because people refuse to do your work for you.. gorim had no need to appologise there.. And as for coming across as a prick.. I'm sure he'd be cooler with the vast majority of you if you just took a step back, used the search and kept daft ideas to your selves instead of expecting others to do everything for you.. the admins would probably have a little more time for various stuff if they didnt have to keep slamming topics, moving threads etc etc..

This is my first ever post on these forums and yet Ive been lurking here for over a year.. I dont post not because Im dis-interested, far from it.. but because I read avidly the info I need. I check these forums maybe once a day or every other day and using the info available across the board and all the great guides etc kicking about I'm happily tinkering away with my dev enviroment.. admittedly, I havn't progressed very far, but I know enough to satisfy the needs I have.. all without posting pointless stuff and getting pissy with admins..

Again, Nacho.. no offence meant and I mean that in all honesty.. these are just opinions I have drawn from my time reading forum boards...
Topknots hunt continues.....
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

Fuck me this is one of the most pious and anal BBS's I've ever had the misfortune of stumbling onto.

All I see is people coming on with varying levels of programming skill(I myself being one of them) being derided for not having the same level of knowledge as the powers that be.

Stop judging people on your standards.

Post by Guest »

MarfPSP wrote:All I see is people coming on with varying levels of programming skill(I myself being one of them) being derided for not having the same level of knowledge as the powers that be.
Nowhere do I see anyone being derided for their skills. Usually it is the effort they are applying (or lack thereof) that faces derision. We just want many people to try harder, thats all. People who know next to nothing but show they are applying things the right way get lots of good help.

If any point could be made, is that some of us are occasionally more rude than we need to be, but then, others are less rude than they should be.
Stop judging people on your standards.
I typically try to apply Oopo's standards, or failing that, mrbrown's. This is because I can't get anyone to use my standards. :)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

As has been said many times in the past, these are DEVELOPMENT forums.

If you are not a developer, or at least trying to be one, why are you here?

All we ask is that people TRY to further homebrew development on the PS2 and PSP. You don't have to create the next big thing, but you should at least be interested in more technically-oriented discussions.

We aren't here for techsupport, moral support, or back support. We're not the local news stand, we're not a place for karma-whoring crossposters and we're not a place to find pirated software. We don't care if you're a purple monkey dishwasher or a snappy dresser.

Grow up and wear a helmet. Stop crying when people judge on the merits of the image you project.
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

Its derisive enough having topics locked and deleted for "redundancy"....
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

They're redundant because there's already a thread started for that very topic. It is an attempt to make sure everyone is on the same page and not duplicating effort.

...or would you rather 30 new posts about the 1.5 exploit flooding the main page of this forum? Each one a minor variation on 'hey, check this out!'.
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

I often find reading through duplicated posts on other forums that you can get tidbits of other information from them.

Plus there is the fact that people see the deletion and locking going on and wont want to contribute.

Makes me chuckle tbh when I read some of the posts and you can almost hear the posters knee's knocking as he types the opening lines.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I'm glad you read other forums.
MarfPSP

Post by MarfPSP »

Why?

I administrate other forums and am interested in how people administrate theirs.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

ooPo wrote:Well, blame Herben for not updating when he gets back from wherever he went.
Herben is reported to be deep in the northern Wisconsin woods, fighting off bears with an axe and picking off deer from his bathroom window.
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

Hmmm, apart from redundant threads being locked (thank God, that way the people that are really trying to get something working will actually explore past page 1), I really can't believe that someone complains about the news about 1.5 not being updated for a whole whopping day.

It's not like you die if you find out one day later...not to mention that you found out regardless, because it was allover the net up to the regular non PSP sites.

But....I admit. I'm still waiting for Herben to return...I finally hope to find out whether Michael Jackson was found guilty or not.

0xdf
_Psycho

Post by _Psycho »

ooPo wrote: We don't care if you're a purple monkey dishwasher or a snappy dresser.
*Sniff* you broke my heart !