psp-dev have released their exploit for ver. 1.5

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

AzureBlaze

psp-dev have released their exploit for ver. 1.5

Post by AzureBlaze »

http://www.only4.info/psp-dev/

I don't have a second MS
Can someone confirm it?
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

confirmed...
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

confirmed again. This is great!
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
Raoul

Post by Raoul »

Hi

What will happen if instead of doing this swap trick, we build an EBOOT.PBP file with inside another EBOOT.PBP file which is in fact the DATA.PSP just renamed (like in the psp-dev trick)??

Actually I can't test it, because I can't find a way to insert a PBP file inside another one... but still digging.

Regards
radui2

Post by radui2 »

lol... How did you get it working?
I tried it 2 ways:
#1: Launch the 'launcher' and then immediatily swap the MS's, and I wait for about 4-5 seconds in front on the PSP screen, and then it just shuts off (not reboots)
#2: Launch the 'launcher', what until after the MS light flashes, and the try to replace the MS's, but I'm never fast enough... it just says 'The game could not be started'
I'm trying to run SNES9x
How did you do it?
MDave

Post by MDave »

I'm having the same problem too (but with nem's helloworld)

Is there a difference between japanese 1.5 and us 1.5 firmware? :o
radui2

Post by radui2 »

Don't think so...
Maybe we just have to be faster at swapping the MS's
Right.....?
MDave

Post by MDave »

I'm swapping as fast as humanly possible, but just dosn't work. hehe.
I got japanese 1.5 firmware btw. You have US firmware radiu2?
radui2

Post by radui2 »

MDave wrote:I'm swapping as fast as humanly possible, but just dosn't work. hehe.
I got japanese 1.5 firmware btw. You have US firmware radiu2?
Yeah, I've got the US one
Raoul

Post by Raoul »

Well can't find a way to put an EBOOT.PBP inside another EBOOT.PBP...

BTW, I have tested the trick with two MS and it is working fine.

For those who can't make it run be sure to hav exactly the same path:

MS1 => \PSP\GAME\TEST\EBOOT.PSP from the MS1 folder
MS2 => \PSP\GAME\TEST\EBOOT.PSP from the MS2 folder

If you do not succeed, you are very unluky or very awkward, I did test on an 1.5 JP and works fine at the first test.
MDave

Post by MDave »

ahaa, found out what the problem is. if you use the manual method for making the eboot.pbp on the ms2 it works :) the program that makes it for you seems to not do it right.

check manual on how to: basically just take the data.psp file out of a eboot, and rename it to eboot.pbp and use that in the ms2

So there you go :)
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

I hear that Snes9x and some other programs have .. "problems" when being converted by the program (the M2 part).

however if you do it "manually" as described in the PDFs you should be able to run them.

g'luck
MDave

Post by MDave »

I can't get over how simple this exploit is, I even tried doing memory stick swapping a while ago, with no results. But taking the data.psp out of an eboot.pbp and renaming it? Now thats clever, yet simple :P

Now, the next step I see being done is using this exploit to load a homebrew app that can flash the firmware files to 1.0, since its now possible to extract and flash firmware :) Saves having to swap memory sticks every time.
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

ok.. but i'm not the one testing that idea.. hehe :)

it would be nice if something simple like this will make possible watching hi-q movies, or even starting boot.bin
could not be as simple as renaming the boot.bin to eboot.pbp and using the same procedure... could it?
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

I don't really understand what the SwapTool does to the original EBOOT.PBP, it seems it extract the .PSP/.ELF file to copy it in the MS2 dir but the last bytes seems modified...(why ? CRC ?)

But if the 2nd method works, it doesn't matter, I understood you just need :
1. a regular pbp archive with only the picture (PNG) and the descriptor (SFO) [and NO .PSP file) on the 1st MS
2. your homebrew elf application renamed as EBOOT.PBP (which is NOT a real PBP file)

Maybe I miss something, seems so easy...

So does the firmware acts in 2 steps ?

1. Read EBOOT.PBP on the memory stick and be sure it is a real one (SFO+PNG) to display it

2. Want to run this pbp ?

//swap the stick
If(real pbp) then
check security();
else
execute(); ???
end if

wooo... is it right ?
- TiTAN Art Division -
http://www.titandemo.org
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

I guess in 1.5x there's a better check of validity of the eboot.pbp and simply missing data.psp does not cut it.

how about using a proper data.psar or even the whole eboot.pbp (from the firm-update) and use the swap idea.

the check of the eboot should "pass" and then the "swapped" file with the same name will be executed?

gosh i feel smart today =/
Last edited by MindWall on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

MindWall wrote: [....] how about using a proper data.psar or even the whole eboot.pbp (from the firm-update) and use the swap idea [....]
Makes sense but where do you find a proper DATA.PSAR for firmware 1.0 (if this is your idea to downgrade...) and firmware upgrade checks should occur after...

But for the moment I'm just wondering if the swapping thing works, a poll ?? :D
- TiTAN Art Division -
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

no.... no.. the idea was related to the fact that the "exploit"-swap does not work on 1.51 nor 1.52

so.. get the data.psar for ver-up 1.5 stick it in the pbp perform the swap trick and run a homebrew...

and clean update of firmware will be very limiting if you want to use games and whatnot that will require 1.5+
so probably only a partial update of only some modules will be best.
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

It seems the 1st method using the tool is corrupting the end of the file, this is likely the culprit of the problems people are having. Method B works fine, another confirmation :)
radui2

Post by radui2 »

Shazz wrote:
MindWall wrote: [....] how about using a proper data.psar or even the whole eboot.pbp (from the firm-update) and use the swap idea [....]
Makes sense but where do you find a proper DATA.PSAR for firmware 1.0 (if this is your idea to downgrade...) and firmware upgrade checks should occur after...

But for the moment I'm just wondering if the swapping thing works, a poll ?? :D
It works, but could only get NestrJ to work through the provided MSwap.exe
If I tried SNES9X or Generator, it just froze and then turned off. (This may also be because I didn't have any roms in their folders, but then again NesterJ ran with no roms also)
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

Chrighton wrote:It seems the 1st method using the tool is corrupting the end of the file...)
Thanks Chrighton, it should validate my little scenario :D
So now, time to dump the 1.5 firmware using Drakonite's tool ! :D
- TiTAN Art Division -
TRF-Yu-Ki

Post by TRF-Yu-Ki »

Method B is the way to go..... Method A with that executable thing of theirs is gonna confuse people for the next couple of weeks. =^)
Learning to hack is not bad in itself; it's what you do with your abilities that count. - a.k.a. Shadow-Me-Twice of ddrfreak.com
wulf

Post by wulf »

confirmed again..

and I was one of the absolute naysayers.. I used the tool they provided on linux (using wine)
I used chess.. cool port, btw.

You just have to be fast like a jackrabbit.. don't wait for the psp logo to stop chiming.
ckinni

Post by ckinni »

so an admin should rename the sticky to 1.51 and take off 1.5 because now we have one! but DAMN, why did i update??? :(
cwbowron

Post by cwbowron »

I just played my pspChess program for the first time on a real psp. It felt good. Unfortunately I was in the middle of a debug build when I did it and the cursor control was backwards.

It would be nice to see a command line tool that creates the two EBOOT.bin files necessary for getting this exploit to work. That would make it easier for developers to create them in their compile scripts and release them which would make it easier for the end users as well.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

cwbowron wrote:It would be nice to see a command line tool that creates the two EBOOT.bin files necessary for getting this exploit to work. That would make it easier for developers to create them in their compile scripts and release them which would make it easier for the end users as well.
it is a command line tool
cwbowron

Post by cwbowron »

Vampire wrote: it is a command line tool
Ahhh, Yes... I am an idiot...

I didnt investigate it very far... I just used the GUI and didnt bother to look in the program directory...

Thanks for pointing it out...
thedyingmatt

Post by thedyingmatt »

Hi I'm an Uber noob, seeing as this is my first post and all, but I had a few simple questions,

I read on another website, one that I question the validity of, that this could possibly damage your memory stick, or your psp.

I'm just wondering what the chances of this happening are? Is it a slim to none chance?? Or should I just wait until they refine this exploit, if at all possible?? Thanks for any replies in advance.

Matt
th0mas

Post by th0mas »

personally I would not use this as an everyday method of running code. Wait until someone comes out with something akin to reflashing your 1.5 psp to a 1.0, I guess.
StriderA

Post by StriderA »

I finally have a real reason to buy that memory card I've been wanting. So now that we have a way to run code, who's going to be the first one to try and kill their psp by flashing down to 1.0?
Lost in a thought, found in a dream.