PSP Genesis v0.1

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

emumaniac

PSP Genesis v0.1

Post by emumaniac »

Sougen has released on our PSP Emulation Forum an awesome port of the Genesis/Megadrive Emulator Generator, this release Rivals SMS PSP as one of the most polished emulators so far for the PSP, heres the info from the read me file:

PSPGenesis v0.1
===============
This is a port of the Megadrive/Genesis emulator 'generator' to the PSP.
It currently runs about 90% of the games with sound support.

!!!!!WARNING
!!!!!:
------------------
This emulator sets the PSP's cpu to 333Mhz, and although the author has played the
emulator for hours on end without any issues, the author cannot be held liable if
this damages your PSP.

Installation
------------
- Extract the files in this archive to the following directory:
- [MemoryStick]:\PSP\GAME\PSPGenesis

- The default Rom directory is 'Roms' in same directory as EBOOT.PBP. Although you
can put your roms anywhere on your memory stick.

Menu Controls
-------------
[D-Pad] - Browse Files
[Circle] - Start Game / Change Directory
[Triangle] - Toggle 'Sound Speed Fix'
[Square] - Toggle Line/Cell rendering
[Triggers] - Switch between country regions
[Home] - Go back to PSP Browser

In-Game Controls
----------------
[D-Pad] - Genesis D-Pad
[Square/Triangle] - Genesis A Button
[Cross] - Genesis B Button
[Circle] - Genesis C Button

[Start] - Genesis Start Button
[Select] - Go back to Game Selection Menu

Download from the Official Release Thread Here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6889
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I would advise everyone against using any software that forces the CPU clock speed to 333Mhz. We don't know enough about that API to safely use it.

It should be an option that the user willingly selects.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

Anyway i think most people must use theire psp at 333mhz.
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

If you think that then it's obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I was all set to try this out until I saw the bit about 333 Mhz. I'll wait until a version comes out that runs at 222 thanks.
Marco_N

Post by Marco_N »

Besides that, a certain portion of games work fine at 222 with frameskip; just for battery life sake 222 should be an option. But I guess that's why it's v0.1 ;c)
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

Oh yeah, I hope it didn't sound like I was faulting the creators of the emulator for not putting something out that was perfect on the first try. From the things I've read about it, this seems like an amazing piece of software, especially for something that's brand new. I'm looking forward to new releases of it for sure. And if anyone wants to risk bricking their PSP by running this version, by all means that's their perogative, I just wouldn't think that "most people must use theire psp at 333mhz" [sic].
MDave

Post by MDave »

This 333mhz is risky talk is just something someone was unsure of using, and didn't read up properly on the psp specs listed on sony's own site and read/watched sony's developer presentations on the psp:

http://www.us.playstation.com/pressreleases.aspx?id=207

The psp was designed to go 333mhz from the start, and is locked to official developers to conserve battery life, until battery technology increases. This is what was said on one of the sony presentation slides (sorry I have forgot the links, I'll look for them and post them when I do find them).

Everyone is getting the wrong impression its 'overclocking', and I'm finding it rather annoying >_<. It isn't dangerous otherwise we'd hear of it in wide-spread news. Havn't heard of anyone thats fried their psp cause of it yet :) and theres been plenty of time to find out since.

EDIT: found an interview with an offical developer

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archi ... s_ps2.html
The PSP CPU has a variable clock speed from 1 to 333MHz. It runs at the lower speeds when possible to save power.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005 ... igai_2.jpg
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005 ... igai_4.jpg

If it were unsafe, sony would of mentioned it there ;)

HOWEVER! I do agree that we should use 222mhz whenever possible and when 333mhz isn't necessary :)
Èl Nächó

Post by Èl Nächó »

Well I've heard a few unconfirmed reports, such as this one. It may be nothing, but I still will choose to wait until I hear something definitive.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Actually it just did it to me, with snes9x port, green led blink and switch off psp. But it's just that my battery died (it seems to dry within an hour or so max from full charge when running at 333).
I hooked AC adapter, PSP reports that indeed the battery was dried off.
Also, the post above by MDave made it quite clear, the PSP is meant to run at 333, it's just that.. well battery life becomes poop.
I'm now pretty sure it's totally safe to run homebrew at 333.
Later,

Alcahest
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

I don't care if it's safe to use, my point was that homebrew programs should offer it as a choice, not as the default.

And TBH it says a lot about programmers who try to rely on this on a mobile device where the goal is to save power - these emulators should be clocking down, not up.
Victor Von Doom

Post by Victor Von Doom »

Sougen has updated his emulator, PSPGenesis, to v0.11 . This version defaults to 222mhz, but can be changed to 333mhz via the menu

as posted by psphacker

either way i prefer choice
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

i really *DO* care if it's safe to use or not, however i agree on your point that it should be user selectable, if only for peeps who'd rather play 3 hours at 15 fps rather than 1 hour @ 50.

And it says absolutely nothing, programmers are toying with the PSP right now, this doesn't seem to be the time for optimization yet.. well for the emus that got released the past few days at least.
Later,

Alcahest