hello developers

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

JJPeerless

hello developers

Post by JJPeerless »

hey, i was wondering if someone who is able to write, compile, and run psp homebrew.. could do me and im sure others a favor

could someone write a FULL tutorial..on how to set up a psp editor to write the code..show an example "hello world" type program, with FULL comments explaining how to set up a psp program and everything..and then how to compile it, etc..

would be greatly appreciated..thanks.
inomine

Post by inomine »

I was thinking of doing something like this once I have the thing figured out.

Also to be honest there is not much to figure out once, it's pretty straight forward C coding at the moment. Tutorials will only be of real use once the GP is figured out, or for some of the more esoteric pieces of hardware.
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

The tutorial you ask for will get you as far as the tutorial goes. You need alot more base knowledge, and when you have that, you won't need a tutorial. This forum is all you need, as long you know how to use it.
It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
senor coco

Post by senor coco »

Actually a tutorial is possible and i am planning to create it once i can get the script to load. Remember c and c++ is mainly composed of libraries and if you could teach people the functions of the library kind of like people have created for Directx and opengl tutorial. I alway create a tutorial/journal when while i learn how to program with a certain library and i am planning to do so once i can get the script to install.

Everything in the script downloads but when it tries to install i get many error like the following:

no such file or directory
/psphome/psptoolchain/binutils-2.16.tar.gz not found in archive
/psphome/psptoolchain/gcc-4.0.0.tar.bz2 not found in archive
/psphome/psptoolchain/newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz not found in archive
cant cd binutils-2.16.tar.gz
cant cd gcc-4.0.0.tar.bz2
cant cd newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz
sq377

Post by sq377 »

if you use the ps2sdk, elf2pbp, and pspe, it is really easy to get it working. Try compiling nems hello world, it even has a readme. If you install the latest ps2sdk, you have to change a few of the directories in the mk.bat but thats really it.
senor coco

Post by senor coco »

is there a big difference between the ps2 sdk and the psp toolchain
sq377

Post by sq377 »

well, psp toolchain doesn't really have much specific for just the psp yet, so not much of a reason to use it. (correct me if im wrong.) Ps2sdk is what nem used for hello world, and I have used it without any problems.

But I'm still learning c, so I could be very wrong in advising the ps2sdk.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

sq377 wrote:well, psp toolchain doesn't really have much specific for just the psp yet, so not much of a reason to use it. (correct me if im wrong.) Ps2sdk is what nem used for hello world, and I have used it without any problems.

But I'm still learning c, so I could be very wrong in advising the ps2sdk.
Yes you're wrong. People should be using the PSP toolchain instead of the PS2 toolchain.
senor coco

Post by senor coco »

man i cant biuld it. I keep on getting errors. Id there any way i could download the files with out having to use the script. I am new to cygwin and i keep getting errors eveytime i try to install the script
JJPeerless

Post by JJPeerless »

well..its not really straight up C..you cant just be like printf("hello world");
save it to a .c and rename to eboot.pbp =)
inomine

Post by inomine »

senor coco wrote:man i cant biuld it. I keep on getting errors. Id there any way i could download the files with out having to use the script. I am new to cygwin and i keep getting errors eveytime i try to install the script
If you get errors with the script it means that there is something quite vitally missing in your Cygwin configuration so even if you did do everything manually it would not help in the slightest. And if you want to do everything manually just open up the script in a text editor and have a read as to what commands it executes, everything in there is plain for you to see.
inomine

Post by inomine »

JJPeerless wrote:well..its not really straight up C..you cant just be like printf("hello world");
save it to a .c and rename to eboot.pbp =)
How true, you would at least have to compile and link it first :P

There are few programs that use "straight" C, you always end up jumping through hoops and going about roundabout.
JJPeerless

Post by JJPeerless »

well..i really only know c++..didnt even realize regular old C wasnt OOP...weird.. im gonna start learning C..i mean i know all the basic's because most of it is the same as c++...but i think i need to learn more about pointers and messing with memory and stuff..

id still really like a tutorial on setting everything up..and some commented code or somethign

would be nice..id really like to port some of my java games over to psp =)