PSP Media Center and decoder library ports

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

EdZ

Post by EdZ »

If you intend to put some kind os streming support into this, might I suggest videolan? Then you've dealt with DVD re-encoding already, with it being done before it even gets to the PSP, as well as any other video (or audio) filetype you might want to play. (plus the videolan client is already running on a pocketPC, so it must not be that CPU intensive).
Raoul

Post by Raoul »

I think VideoLan can be a good idea, you have full source code to the application, including most of the decoding library. It has also version for lots of different *NIX distribution as well as PocketPC and MacOS. I might have a look more deeply in the code, can be interested. BTW good work on your MediaCenter :)
zachlindblad

also

Post by zachlindblad »

2 things i mentioned on other forums would be nice.
1. a visualizer would be awesome, although i cant think of any open source ones.
2. also if this is a media center you need picture support.
marlov74

Multichannel to Headphone surround support.

Post by marlov74 »

I would be really nice to be able to play movies with 5.1/5.0/4.0/3.0 sound in the headphones.
For that we need AC3 decoder (or multi-channel AAC) and Dolby Headphone (or TruSurroundXT) coder in MediaCenter.
I know 5.1 streams consumes a lot of bandwidth, but 3.0 would be nice to.

Unfortunately I haven't found any source code for Headphone Surround yet. Does anyone know any?

Edit: Found a forum with this Post
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... 16166&st=0
Cool Matty

Post by Cool Matty »

Warren, I don't know of the difficulty this would be, but have you looked into using FFDShow for all the AVI codecs?

It's damn fast, open source, and supports a whole helluva lot of AVI codecs. At least you could implement the libavacodec decoder, which supports the major players in the codec area (Xvid, Divx, WMV, H,263)

But yeah, I'd love to see XviD working, and OGG at full speed. Keep us in the know, man :D
spiral

Post by spiral »

maybe betaplayer's source would help.
Treat

Post by Treat »

Great job!
it crashes HARD when i play http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/downl ... 90chip.mod
Warren

Post by Warren »

Treat wrote:Great job!
it crashes HARD when i play http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/downl ... 90chip.mod
Will get adresd to look into it.

In reponse to all questions about video. For right now I'm only doing XviD. This is mostly due to the fact that any other libraries are going to run like crap since everything is going to have to be optimised for the VFPU to get any decent speed. Please do not suggest other video codecs or libraries yet.

Alos, I'd like to announce the release of v0.82 with fixed OGG support and .XM mod support. It can be downloaded from http://kelley.ca/psp/PSPMediaCenter-v0_82.rar

As always you can get the latest info from our wiki at http://wiki.ps2dev.org/psp:psp_media_center
netddos

Post by netddos »

Support for Japanese/Korean character~~

Please~
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Warren wrote:In reponse to all questions about video. For right now I'm only doing XviD. This is mostly due to the fact that any other libraries are going to run like crap since everything is going to have to be optimised for the VFPU to get any decent speed. Please do not suggest other video codecs or libraries yet.
Uh ... did you forget about the Media Engine?

And I'm not sure what you'll gain for video decoding with access to the VFPU.
Warren

Post by Warren »

mrbrown wrote:
Warren wrote:In reponse to all questions about video. For right now I'm only doing XviD. This is mostly due to the fact that any other libraries are going to run like crap since everything is going to have to be optimised for the VFPU to get any decent speed. Please do not suggest other video codecs or libraries yet.
Uh ... did you forget about the Media Engine?

And I'm not sure what you'll gain for video decoding with access to the VFPU.
True, but I figured iDCT, colorspace conversions and some of the other optimised ASM bits in XviD would be better implmented in VFPU than just shoveling them onto a different proc.
Stealth09

Post by Stealth09 »

Would it be possible to have it play WMA files...
Naota

Post by Naota »

I have a suggestion: MEDIA STREAMING. music and most importantly video streamed from your home server over your home network to the PSP via wi-fi. I heard some UMD was supposed to be released in south korea with this function a while back but havn't heard anything else about it. keep up the good work guys.
Cool Matty

Post by Cool Matty »

Stealth09 wrote:Would it be possible to have it play WMA files...
Maybe, but only non-protected WMAs. It'd be a pain though, WMAs suck. Just switch your music format to something good, like OGG.

As for media streaming, I could see MP3 streaming (like SHOUTCast) working, but video streaming I don't see happening. The PSP's wifi just doesn't have the sustained speed required to pull it off. (The theoretical limit for 802.11b is 11mbps, tack off about 3mbps to a real-world number, then tack off about 5 more mbps to get the speed the PSP gets, due to hardware limitations and such stuff, and then hack off maybe another 1mbps for signal quality fluctuations, and error recovery. You're left with 2mbps, which would be pushing it for any video streaming.) In addition, the PSP will be struggling enough just getting the video to decode at full speed, much less having to deal with the wifi network and caching it.
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

media streaming over wifi is a cool idea, but get real.

you want to stream all your media to your psp, in your house?!

then what......

you go out, and cant watch anything....

nice idea......
Warren

Post by Warren »

New PSPMediaCenter release
http://www.kelley.ca/psp/PSPMediaCenter_0.87a.zip

Changes:
Fixed a bug with skip tune, introduced with last version.
Added a Loop/Advance mode to playing, so can either loop a song, or advance down playlist.
This is on the triangle button, shows LOOP or ADVANCE in top right corner of screen.
Sorted out mikmod display functions and timer.
Added subdirectory support to filescanning in the debug gui, now everything below ms0:/PSP/MUSIC/ will be scanned.
Fixed some minor problems with AHX playback
Headphone Remote support added.
Reworked the extension handling, to allow more than one extension per codec.
STSound and MikMod Library Support added.
Altered media list sorting.