Call for "standard" emulation rom/save directory s

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Sharkus

Call for "standard" emulation rom/save directory s

Post by Sharkus »

With the recent flurry of emulators (with many flavors of each emulator) it would be great to have a standard directory stucture for storing ROMs and SAVEs.

Some goals:

* Share ROMS between different emulators
* Easy emulator upgrades
* Easy to understand where different ROMs go
* Enable PC software to sync ROMs and SAVE states

With these goals in mind, something very simple along the following lines should suffice

/emulator/roms/[rom file extension]/...rom files go here...
/emulator/saves/[emulator name]/...emulator specific saves go here...

For example:

/emulator/roms/gbc/
/emulator/roms/sms/
/emulator/roms/pce/
etc...

This would allow people to put all of their roms in one location. The emulator binaries would of course still reside in the /psp/game/... directories and would no be cluttered with roms or saves. Upgrading to new emulators would not require copying of roms to different directories...
chaos

Post by chaos »

only problem is that saves aren't necessarily compatible between emulators.
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
Sharkus

Post by Sharkus »

Yeah, that's why the saves are stored under the emulator specific name...
LiquidIce

Post by LiquidIce »

I agree this is a step in the right direction. I noticed when upgrading to a new version of one of the emulators that when you move a rom from one directory to another it takes quite a bit of time. It's not a simple rename of the directory structure, it actually reads the entire file and rewrites it.

Having the roms seperate will make upgrading to the newsest version of the emulator much easier.

Great idea Sharkus!
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

LiquidIce wrote:I agree this is a step in the right direction. I noticed when upgrading to a new version of one of the emulators that when you move a rom from one directory to another it takes quite a bit of time. It's not a simple rename of the directory structure, it actually reads the entire file and rewrites it.

Having the roms seperate will make upgrading to the newsest version of the emulator much easier.

Great idea Sharkus!
Can't you just overwrite the old emulator files with the new ones? o_O
inomine

Post by inomine »

Hippo wrote: Can't you just overwrite the old emulator files with the new ones? o_O
Do something logic, simple and straight forward? Never!
Marco_N

Post by Marco_N »

...now all we need is someone who reads/writes English and Japanese so this can be translated and posted on their PSP Wiki...
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

hmm i'd rather have a rom subfolder for each specific emu instead of a general ROM folder.. i'm pretty happy with the way it is now.
Why? easy, i only use 1 emu per system and also since i don't want any corrupt icon in there ^^;;
Later,

Alcahest
Sharkus

Post by Sharkus »

Interested forum we got here... I noticed that none of the "funny" responses actually address any of the goals as stated in the original post...

As for the other responses (that don't take into account the goals either, but at least they are constructive):
easy, i only use 1 emu per system and also since i don't want any corrupt icon in there
There would not be a corrupt icon there because the psp does not look for executables in the /emulator directory.
Can't you just overwrite the old emulator files with the new ones?
This doesn't always work (especially if you get different versions of the emu packaged by different people). In these cases the directory name also needs to change. Also, this suggestion doesn't adress the multi-emu sharing of ROMS.

[/quote]
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

There is no development content in this thread whatsoever. Moved to the Software forum.