What can't be done on homebrew at this point?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Modab

What can't be done on homebrew at this point?

Post by Modab »

Sorry if this is redundant, but I was wondering if someone knew the status on how capable homebrew code can become. Are we missing a whole bunch of "official" capabilities, like access to 3D hardware acceleration of graphics, or networking? Or is it at the point where we just need to write good libraries?
I know there's no big 3D homebrew code yet, but as far as 2D, can we push pixels as fast as Sony can?
pcostabel

Post by pcostabel »

At present, homebrew software is limited to basic framebuffer access, plus sound and input. No 3D, no accelerated 2D, no networking. Hopefully this will change soon.
LiquidIce

Post by LiquidIce »

no useful utilities exist which use the USB or IRDA, and I have not seen code to use the analog stick to control a mouse pointer on screen. I see some of the emulators just remap the analog direction to the dpad, but nothing in terms of sensitivity.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

The analog stick *can* be read as analog. Enable it with sceCtrlSetAnalogMode(1) then read it out of (ctrl_data_t).analog[0] and analog[1]. Values range from 0 to 255. 0 is the X axis, 1 is the Y axis.
Smiths

Post by Smiths »

and it is able to have sensitivty changed a bit; the original release of RIN with analog support was not very good, but then other programmers adjusted the analog's response.
sq377

Post by sq377 »

2nd cpu is not working. (media proc)
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

what about the VME (virtual mobile engine - reconfigurable DSP engine)? does anyone know if it can only be used for sound processing (i.e. is it the "sound core", what i read somewhere)? or can it be used as an additional processing unit like the vector units on the PS2.

would be nice to have additional "5 billion operations per second" (integer) ;), although i think reverse engeneering how to use the VME would be one of the hardest parts in PSP homebrew development.
infj
Warren

Post by Warren »

The only parts currently usable on the PSP is the ALLEGREX main CPu and COP0 (FPU).

The media engine and VFPU are not yet usable. VFPU support should come in a few weeks, no clue about media engine. Someone should reverse mebooter.prx to figure out how to run stuff on it.
Shine

Post by Shine »

LiquidIce wrote:no useful utilities exist which use the USB or IRDA, and I have not seen code to use the analog stick to control a mouse pointer on screen. I see some of the emulators just remap the analog direction to the dpad, but nothing in terms of sensitivity.
See this topic for an IrDA communication between two PSPs. And in the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org is an audio sample, which uses the analog pad.