Some ideas I haven't implemented

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mattias800

Some ideas I haven't implemented

Post by mattias800 »

Hello!

This is my first post here, so perhaps I should present myself first of all.
My name is Mattias, from Gothenburg, Sweden, 25 years old, studying Computer science & engineering at the university of Chalmers.

So, my ideas are about how to implement an ISO loader. People are obviously already working on these, but the more people working on it, the better!

I've been discussing this with some people in #WAB and other places and my ideas are the same as other people.
Open the non-encypted BIN-file, find all UMD-function calls and "hi-jack" them.
Now here comes the first part which I'm unsure about.
If we are to hi-jack them, that is, just put in some other adress so that instead of running the system functions, it will run our own code, but we have to place that code somewhere. Is it possible to just append it to the binary, calculate the new adresses and modify the calls?

So, we assume that it was a complete success. The next step is to make our own functions actually do something, and since we're not doing completely trivial stuff, we want to code C, not MIPS assembler.
This means we have to code our new functions, compile them and insert them into the binary manually (well, by code).
So, is it possible to write these functions and then, easily extract them from our small binary (containing only the function)?

Would it be possible to use PRX-files, if we could write the loader once, which inserts new function calls, and then keep these functions in a PRX-files, and to improve and add new functionality (boot ISO from SMB, FTP, whatever) by just improving this PRX-file?

Anyway, I'm hoping there are some talented people in :)
"Unix is like an intelligent woman. Very difficult to get started with, but blissful once you get established with it."
pixel

Post by pixel »

Errrr, sorry, wrong place, ever. In short: iso loading is piracy, and piracy is a no-no here.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.