File Assistant ++

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

71M

File Assistant ++

Post by 71M »

Hi,
Here is a small application that I've written in conjunction with Lin J.R and Shazz.
Thanks go out to both of them for their help in producing this application.
It's based on the original File Assistant written by Lin J.R, but has been souped up with some fancy GPU fueled rendering and ninja C++ coding! :)

You can grab a copy along with the source code from www.Easy-Monkey.co.uk/FileAssistant-2005-08-14.rar
Give me a shout if you need any of the additional librarys.

Current Features
  • Copy File
    Move File
    Delete File
    Rename File
    Make Directory
    View Image ( tga, bmp, png, jpg )
    USB Toggle
    Music Playback (mp3, ogg, ahx, mod )
    Run Executable ( pbp, elf )
Future Features
  • Text Viewer
    True Type Fonts
    Skin Browser
    PRX/BIN Execution
...and anything else Shazz or Lin J.R have planned! :)

Oh, and I must get around to commenting the code to make it easier to understand!

Thanks,
71M
71M

Skinning

Post by 71M »

p.s. Would be great if someone could have a play about with the skin and icons, as you can see I'm no artist! :)
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

hi great app, nice to see it being improved, posted the news and mirrored the files and took screenshots here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/fileasistant++.shtml

thanks again
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Awesome app :)

Don't mean to pressure you, just a suggestion, but you know what would make this even better? FTP Client support :D
I've wanted it for a while, ever since I saw the FTP Server, but no one has even hinted at making it :(.
You think you could add a very simple FTP client?
71M

Post by 71M »

Good idea!
I'll add it to the list of future features.
Would be very handy to have FTP browsing...

71M
Keegster

Post by Keegster »

I have a suggestion, I love the assistant, because i can listen to my music, and view pics, but, i was wondering if it would be possible to make it easir to veiw pics? maybe like r and l buttons could skip pics? thanks

- Keegster
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Ohh this is nice :))
There are some hick-ups...Like when playing some mp3 and you try to view an jpeg it will freeze. Im guessing it does not support photo view while playing music?
I really like this.
Edited: Well this is just sweet:
...instead of having 7 hombrew apps in PSP/GAMES...putting all of your hombrew apps in FileAs_________________________1 you only have fisassistant in your GAME folder, but you can still boot all your hombrew apps. :)) wow. No more scrolling.
firetown

bug help

Post by firetown »

great program, with everything this does you could almost claim it a shell

just to let you know i had these problems (psp 1.5)
-timer doesn't restart when song does
-can't get executables to run properly on it, they start then i get that can't load message
-you still get the ask menu when you press home even though it only there briefly

great app and replaced old file assistant app.

looking forward to update though a read me that states everything and how to achieve it may help, cause i just found out about start changeing background
firetown

Post by firetown »

also you need at leasat a "." in the rename keyboard as it can only really be used to rename folders at the moment
DDRLord

Post by DDRLord »

Thought I'd throw in a screenshot of my own OSX theme.
I still need to work on the icons a bit, but I just can't seem to find a place with original Aqua/Tiger ones.
If anyone's interested I'll gladly upload it.

Mind you it's a little blurry, a little purple, and a lot nicer in person. The first two are only because of the camera, and the last is my self esteem talking. ;)

Oh, and aside from icons I've got to throw in a little drop shadow to all the windows. Might even scrap the resize thing in the corner just to make room.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does the theme switching option not work? I don't plan on using more than one, but when I want to have two themes installed (say a nice working one and a WIP one) it'll be a bit of a nuisance.
And most importantly: I totally LOVE this file manager. I mean, it's both functional and jaw droppingly slick. The little transparency and shrinking effects are beautiful.

EDIT2: All icons changed, dropshadows added (though I still need to scoot them down maybe 2 pixels) and link'd. You can download it (if it's still up) at http://www.sendmefile.com/00047120
Last edited by DDRLord on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keegster

Post by Keegster »

senas8 wrote:Ohh this is nice :))
There are some hick-ups...Like when playing some mp3 and you try to view an jpeg it will freeze. Im guessing it does not support photo view while playing music?
I really like this.
...instead of having 7 hombrew apps in PSP/GAMES...putting all of your hombrew apps in FileAs_________________________1 you only have fisassistant in your GAME folder, but you can still boot all your hombrew apps. :)) wow. No more scrolling.

mine doesnt freeze, but can somone look into my earleyer post?
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

BRILLIANT!!!

Finally somebody releases code on how to enable USB!!!

Where did you find out how to do this?!?!? I LOVE YOU!!
JSR

Post by JSR »

Sweet , thx man to bring the src too :)
It should be great if you can this feature , a ftp server( as their is the src of psp ftpd) because it should be great to access flash0:/ and other device by wifi for studying fast and not bored by put the files on the memstick, then plug usb , then transfer.... and btw the idea for playing multimedia thing is so good :)
Thx
::Scener 2005::
71M

Post by 71M »

Keegster wrote:I have a suggestion, I love the assistant, because i can listen to my music, and view pics, but, i was wondering if it would be possible to make it easir to veiw pics? maybe like r and l buttons could skip pics? thanks

- Keegster
Yes, this is definitely on my todo list. Possibly even adding a slideshow function.
71M

Post by 71M »

senas8 wrote:Ohh this is nice :))
I really like this.
Glad you like it!
Could people send me any image files that're locking up FileAssistant please. Need to iron out the bugs in the image library.

Thanks,
71M
71M

Re: bug help

Post by 71M »

firetown wrote:great program, with everything this does you could almost claim it a shell

just to let you know i had these problems (psp 1.5)
-timer doesn't restart when song does
-can't get executables to run properly on it, they start then i get that can't load message
-you still get the ask menu when you press home even though it only there briefly

great app and replaced old file assistant app.

looking forward to update though a read me that states everything and how to achieve it may help, cause i just found out about start changeing background
Heh - not quite a shell yet, but getting there :)
I'm too lazy to write a proper readme, but I'll get around to it one day!

I'll take a look at those bugs later on.

Cheers,
71M
71M

Post by 71M »

firetown wrote:also you need at leasat a "." in the rename keyboard as it can only really be used to rename folders at the moment
Have you tried pressing the shoulder buttons to toggle different case and symbols? Obscure I know! :)
71M

Post by 71M »

DDRLord wrote:Thought I'd throw in a screenshot of my own OSX theme.
I still need to work on the icons a bit, but I just can't seem to find a place with original Aqua/Tiger ones.
If anyone's interested I'll gladly upload it.

Mind you it's a little blurry, a little purple, and a lot nicer in person. The first two are only because of the camera, and the last is my self esteem talking. ;)

Oh, and aside from icons I've got to throw in a little drop shadow to all the windows. Might even scrap the resize thing in the corner just to make room.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does the theme switching option not work? I don't plan on using more than one, but when I want to have two themes installed (say a nice working one and a WIP one) it'll be a bit of a nuisance.
And most importantly: I totally LOVE this file manager. I mean, it's both functional and jaw droppingly slick. The little transparency and shrinking effects are beautiful.

EDIT2: All icons changed, dropshadows added (though I still need to scoot them down maybe 2 pixels) and link'd. You can download it (if it's still up) at http://www.sendmefile.com/00047120
BRILLIANT!!! This is the kind of thing that I was looking forward too :)
I'll be adding this skin to my next update, which will have skin selection enabled. Sorry about that, just didn't have enough time to fix it.

Thanks,
71M
71M

Post by 71M »

CyberBill wrote:BRILLIANT!!!

Finally somebody releases code on how to enable USB!!!

Where did you find out how to do this?!?!? I LOVE YOU!!
It is all documented in the SDK, nothing too secret about it :)
Give me a shout if anyone needs help understanding my code.

Thanks,
71M
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

I know it's early days, but one thing I'd like to see in it is p-sprint support for renaming files and such. But obviously, in this context, it's not the highest priority as there's not a lot of typing anyway. I'll be releasing more documentation soon.

(I guess it should wait until I've made header files and such anyway.)

Anyway, just wanted to mention it as an idea, and congratulate you on a great job M71, and also on the skins DDRLord!

(DDR, is that memory or dancing games btw ;) )

Yours,
A.
71M

Post by 71M »

Arwin wrote:I know it's early days, but one thing I'd like to see in it is p-sprint support for renaming files and such. But obviously, in this context, it's not the highest priority as there's not a lot of typing anyway. I'll be releasing more documentation soon.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it as an idea, and congratulate you on a great job M71, and also on the skins DDRLord!

Yours,
A.
Good idea!
I was thinking to integrate P-Sprint, but I've still yet to work out how to use it :)
I'll stick it on my list of things to add for sure.

Cheers,
71M
alex_dsnews

Post by alex_dsnews »

Great work there 71M, very impressive.

I presume the PBP loading is only for 1.0 machines, though, as I can't get it to work on anything on a 1.5...?

/edit - sorry - /some/ stuff runs.

Cheers,
Last edited by alex_dsnews on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

71M wrote:
Arwin wrote:I know it's early days, but one thing I'd like to see in it is p-sprint support for renaming files and such. But obviously, in this context, it's not the highest priority as there's not a lot of typing anyway. I'll be releasing more documentation soon.

Yours,
A.
Good idea!
I was thinking to integrate P-Sprint, but I've still yet to work out how to use it :)
I'll stick it on my list of things to add for sure.

Cheers,
71M
Nice!

I'm working on documentation: http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm ... I'm still working on the default keymappings, but most of the more important basic stuff is explained there already - it might help. :)
JSR

Post by JSR »

Bug report : Umd browsingdoesn't work (folder are not browsable , tested with umd video)
::Scener 2005::
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

I browsed a UMD video disk just fine...

only glitchy part was wile i closed the app... it crashed but recovered without rebooting...
lopoz

Post by lopoz »

great app!!

noticed one minor thing:

-images with double dots don't seem to work.. (for example: 01_01.converted.jpg won't work, but 01_01converted.jpg)

other than that I love it :)
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

alex_dsnews wrote:Great work there 71M, very impressive.

I presume the PBP loading is only for 1.0 machines, though, as I can't get it to work on anything on a 1.5...?

Cheers,
You still need to use the Kxploit method of ----, ----% folders, running the PBP in the % folder first. The 1.50 PSP cannot run unsigned elfs, like all the other PSP aside from 1.0, you still need the kxploit trick to make them run.
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

eh eh, I just took 2 weeks of vacations and I don't recognize our application ! :D

71M a made a wonderful job, that's what I call "refactoring" !!!!

So I just want to add a few things, first some thanks to Adresd and Warren for the PSPMC, basically while playing music, File Assistant just acts as a third party interface for PSP MediaCenter...

I added YM support, so you'll get it in the next version
I fixed UMD directory browsing bug and working on PRX/BIN support
We have to refactor the text viewer code....

So be ready to have a new version with lotsa features and fell free to send us skins.
- TiTAN Art Division -
http://www.titandemo.org
alex_dsnews

Post by alex_dsnews »

F9zDark wrote:
alex_dsnews wrote:Great work there 71M, very impressive.

Cheers,
You still need to use the Kxploit method of ----, ----% folders, running the PBP in the % folder first. The 1.50 PSP cannot run unsigned elfs, like all the other PSP aside from 1.0, you still need the kxploit trick to make them run.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to look stupid - I have tried the usual % etc method, but just couldn't get anything but the NES emulator to run.
DDRLord

Post by DDRLord »

71M wrote:BRILLIANT!!! This is the kind of thing that I was looking forward too :)
I'll be adding this skin to my next update, which will have skin selection enabled. Sorry about that, just didn't have enough time to fix it.

Thanks,
71M
I'm so glad you'll like it. As soon I get home I'll fix that little problem with the bottom and send it to you.