PSP as USB Host?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ZMaster

PSP as USB Host?

Post by ZMaster »

Hi,

does anyone know if the PSP USB bridge supports to work as an USB Host, so that you can attach extern data storage devices such like Apple's iPod to your PSP?
And assumed there is host support on the PSP, does the PSPSDK offer an appropriate API to communicate over USB with the data storage device?

Thanks,
ZMaster
pspkrazy

Post by pspkrazy »

no api in the SDK.

Maybe possible (use search).

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... t=usb+host
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

This has been discussed numerous times. The PSP cannot operate in host mode(since it lacks a host chip). Anything that wants to be used needs to contain a host chip.
AudioMonster

Post by AudioMonster »

Ok, i hear here and there that the PSP actually has that host chip ..... But i also hear that it does not.

So what's the truth !?

F9zDark, where did you get your information from ? Is it just a guess, or ... ?

I was told that the PSP has the host chip but that the Kernel does not support it ... I have no idea if this information is valid.

Also, what about that webcam rumor for the PSP ? ...

For sure, Sony thought about it : " Should we provide host capability to the PSP ( even limited, like not having powered USB ) ? " ... How did they answer that question !? For example, it is likely that they thought about having a webcam plugged to the PSP, and a keyboard ...
Did they decide not to provide usb host capability, thinking that THEY will manufacture and sell those USB products themselves, giving them all the USB host capability ?

I have no clue ... please tell me what they ACTUALLY DID !! :o)
ZMaster

Post by ZMaster »

I had the same information that you have AudioMonster. That's why I asked. I read that the USB bridge has limited host support. I read that it needs host support for the upcoming keyboard. Nobody knows how limited the chip is in it's host capabilities and if it's "only" limited by lacking software (means firmware) support or hardware.

I think we have to let some time pass until some hardware addons for the PSP will be released and (perhaps) the next firmware update is available.
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

From what I hear, the USB Keyboard & Mouse that is coming out for the PSP is only supported by the 2.0 Kernel, and I havnt seen the documentation for the 2.0 library to see what extra functionality is included to support this.
InflamedSpirit

Post by InflamedSpirit »

Well, there definatly will be usb storage devices avaliable (in fact there are already some "interesting" ones coming out in Japan with anime style faces). Does this mean that these devices have the host chips built in? I don't know the cost of a usb host chip but it seems to me that it would be much more practical (for both sony and the consumer) to just have one on the psp.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000253044889/ Heres something I found thats semi related (I have no clue what the specs on the mp3 player shown here but I assume it's doing all the work of transferring as the psp is in usb mode).

Also, if you want your usb storage device hooked up check out http://www.neoflash.com/ and look at their usb to mem stick converter. They estimate its release somewhere in the winter holidays. It sounds like it will be pricy though.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

What about the microphone for the Talkman? It's coming out in november...

Best regards!
holger

Post by holger »

USB OTG chips are bidirectional. the Audio API is probably bound to the internal AD/DA converter, maybe they use the headset connector, but USB is another possibility -- it would just be somewhat more expensive and power-consuming.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Looking at the pictures of the talkman I'd say it will get plugged into the USB... Also I remember seeing old pre PSP's with a GPS attached to the USB... But we will see...
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

The USB has a power source, if you look to the right and left side of the USB port, you will see small copper contacts underneath the silver plastic(there are 2 small holes for them). That was said to be powered.

For the host chip, my information was the opinion of people on these boards. I do not think Sony would allow the PSP to operate in host mode, since then homebrew with the right coding could allow for 200 gig hard drives to be plugged into the PSP, thus killing any market they would have had for their mem-sticks.

If this is not the case then thats even better for us. Just I was under the impression that there weren't host chips in the PSP.
DeeSaiD

Post by DeeSaiD »

Well a 200 gig HDD attached to a psp wouldn't be very portable....

Also, if they didn't put any host chip, how do you explain this keyboards will run?

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail/PSPfhyaqce6he5x223r/
http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/e3-sony-psp-keyboard-016141.php
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

DeeSaiD wrote:Also, if they didn't put any host chip, how do you explain this keyboards will run?
This is ALL my speculation, so take from it what you will:

The keyboard has a host chip in it, when first plugged in it queries the slave device and when the psp replies "im a psp and i implement mass storage" to which a standard pc then mounts as any other usb drive. The keyboard (and other sony devices who know better), they say "well i'm an official psp kb, so just let me know when you want to read a keypress (or fire an interupt or whatever) "

my reasons:
1. Look at the kepboard plug, it is wider than the actual usb port - i'd say it also plugs into the two power connectors either side of the usb port. If psp were a true host, it would be able to supply power to a device to use during negotiation. Since there is the requirement of external power connectors, i assume it does not follow the host protocol and hence not a host chip.

2. Dont assume that either are following the standard usb HID protocol. Once it is plugged in and both devices realise the situation they are in nothing is stopping sony from implementing their own protocol. I imagine this would be attractive to sony who would like to be able to regulate 3rd party prepherials this way.

3. In the psp seminar at ftp://breakpoint.untergrund.net/breakpo ... /seminars/ the guy (sony employee) seems to say words to this effect.

but hey, I could be wrong! only time will tell, i guess :)
Damn, I need a decent signature!
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

DeeSaiD wrote:Well a 200 gig HDD attached to a psp wouldn't be very portable....
Who cares about portability. A 200 gig harddrive could hold far more movies and homebrew games than a memstick. A memstick makes the PSP useless for music and movies, at least until they start making 10 gig memsticks, and even then, a 250 gig hard drive costs less than one of those...
DeeSaiD

Post by DeeSaiD »

Was only joking about it. :)
I would love to see an hd/usb pen connected to our PSPs, but still i'm more interested in other usb peripherials like a keyboard.

As for what cheriff said, I think this could be the way it works but I hope it isn't because it would mean we can forget about plugging stantard USB devices.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

I suppose when these devices hit the shelves, there will be exstensive tests being done on them. But if they require 2.01, well... I will be hard pressed to use it then.
Alex Atkin UK

Post by Alex Atkin UK »

Weird, I hadn't noticed this before:

So I guess its true.[/img][/url]
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

the 2.00 usb.prx has the following new error-strings:
usbbd ERROR : cannot setup GPIO for USB host power supply : 0x%08x
usbbd ERROR : cannot finalize GPIO for USB host power supply : 0x%08x
Alex Atkin UK

Post by Alex Atkin UK »

Interesting.

Any indications that 2.0 DOES support a keyboard already, or does it look like its just the groundwork ready for a future update supporting one?
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> Any indications that 2.0 DOES support a keyboard already, or does it look like its just the groundwork ready for a future update supporting one?

Nope, just the groundwork for other drivers to load in later.
The "usb.prx" is the lowest level USB driver / bus driver. To do anything useful you need additional drivers loaded on top (like the usbstor*.prx drivers).
-----
BTW: there are a few more entries in the 2.0 USB driver

Code: Select all

STUB_START	"sceUsb",0x4001xxxx - user mode
	STUB_FUNC	0x616f2b61,sceUsbWaitStateCB
	STUB_END

STUB_START	"sceUsb_driver",0x0001xxxx - kernel mode
	STUB_FUNC	0x616f2b61,sceUsbWaitStateCB
	STUB_END

STUB_START	"sceUsbBus_driver",0x0001xxxx - kernel mode
	STUB_FUNC	0x90b82f55,sceUsbBus_driver_90B82F55
	STUB_FUNC	0x7b87815d,sceUsbBus_driver_7B87815D // ? names?
	STUB_FUNC	0x48cce3c1,sceUsbBus_driver_48CCE3C1
	STUB_FUNC	0xfba2072b,sceUsbBus_driver_FBA2072B
	STUB_FUNC	0x8a3eb5d2,sceUsbBus_driver_8A3EB5D2
	STUB_END