Bricked PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Erant

Bricked PSP

Post by Erant »

Well, I've done it. It's bricked. I was updating to 2.00 to play GTA, but I had a power outage, and instead of the battery catching in, I got a black screen, a white face, and went into cardiac arrest. I've just had a heated discussion with Sony Netherlands, who kindly told me to go fuck myself, take a plane to Japan and get it fixed there. Needless to say, I said something to the lady I won't repeat here. But now I'm stuck with a $200 paperweight. I'm quite handy with electronics, and I wouldn't mind building a NAND flash interface, and solder a few wires to the PSP mainboard to try and flash back a NAND dump I happen to have (Long time ago, thx to nem) But I was wondering if anyone had a pinout or something I could go on to get to the NAND flash interface without desoldering the flash chip. nem? I'm also thinking the bootloader is still on the flash, as the green LED flashes on for 15 seconds, and then turns black. Or does anyone maybe have a working motherboard I could buy off them?
Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Welcome to the club, friend.
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

Damn i do feel sorry for you, its one of the reasons i never updated my v1.0 PSP, its a pity there wasnt some online shop that would for a small charge unbrick PSPs rather than have tons of dead PSPs.

Makes you wonder how many PSPs are getting bricked withthese firmware updates :(
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
Erant

Post by Erant »

It also makes you wonder how the hell this thing is reflashed. Is there anyone here who did the bogus update (ooPo's bane), and sent their PSPs back to Sony for reflashing? How much did it cost?
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

That might be a possibility, but it should be covered under warranty. It is Sony's stupid fault for making the updates need the AC adaptor in in the first place. Had they made it either AC to boot, then battery as failsafe(which they apparently did not) then you wouldn't have this problem.

As well, if they were to reflash it, you'd get it back with 2.50. Whether you want that or not, I don't know, but I sure as hell know I don't.

Either way, it really sucks man. Probably better off trying to reflash it yourself.
Art

Post by Art »

A UPS is a gift from God :)

However, sorry for your loss man :(
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

That's pretty strange. When I used the 2.0 upgrader, it refused to run untill the battery was 50% full, even with the power cord plugged in. Probably to avoid this very situation.
Are you saying this protection was removed in the 2.5 upgrader on the gta:lcs disk?
Damn, I need a decent signature!
Zenurb

Post by Zenurb »

My GTA:LCS umd came with the 2.0 encoder and afaik all the psps that Game are stocking in the UK still ship with 1.5 version software.
Proud Dvorak User
US 1.5 PSP (Original)
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

GTA comes with a 2.0 upgrade, not 2.50.

As well, a sudden power surge could have fried the PSP, right before the power went off. That is how my fishtank water pump. Granted its not a PSP, but its almost entirely mechanical, which is far more hardy than a completely electronic piece of equipment.
Erant

Post by Erant »

For now, I'm going on the possibility that it fried the battery circuit (There's a shitload of electronics in the battery itself). I'm still waiting to hear from nem though, and it's been a week. Does anyone maybe see or talk to him on regular basis, and could point him to this topic, and my PM?