Ethernet connection

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

aldebaran

Ethernet connection

Post by aldebaran »

I'm travelling often and I have to managed with the different network connections of different hotels. Not all the hotels have WLAN, maybe they have only a Ethernet LAN...
What can be used to connect the PSP with that?
pyrosama

Post by pyrosama »

A wireless hub?
aldebaran

Post by aldebaran »

Yes ... of course!
But I won't carry this and that. I was thinking to avoid too much stuff ... not a laptop nor a PDA, only the PSP with at least a "ethernet card" or something like that. Any suggestions to develop a LAN card? There are some serial to ethernet adapter ....
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

The best solution probably depends on what you plan to do with the network.

If you just want to play UMD games, or use the PSP's built-in browser, you're probably limited to using the WiFi capabilities that are supported by the firmware. This means you would have to bring along a wireless router/access point to connect to the hotel's network. I have one (made by Belkin) that is not much larger than the PSP, and I presume that you could find an even smaller one if that was your primary search requirement.

If you are planning to write your own applications or run homebrew apps on the PSP, then the best bet would be to code up some drivers for the WiFi hardware that support more secure network protocols commonly in use. It has recently been determined that the chipset in the PSP is capable of doing this, but that the Sony firmware hasn't caught up yet.

The third option is to create a custom PSP-to-ethernet converter, possibly using the COM port on the headphone connector, or even better, the USB. But this would still need custom drivers that will not work with standard PSP games. Also, custom-built hardware is seldom more portable than commercial stuff.

Far be it from me to discourage you from trying to develop a new way to connect a PSPS to the outside world, but I think your best bet is to pack a small wireless router in your luggage.
aldebaran

Post by aldebaran »

Dr. Vegetable wrote: Far be it from me to discourage you from trying to develop a new way to connect a PSPS to the outside world, but I think your best bet is to pack a small wireless router in your luggage.
OK! Received.
Dr. Vegetable wrote: The third option is to create a custom PSP-to-ethernet converter, possibly using the COM port on the headphone connector, or even better, the USB. But this would still need custom drivers that will not work with standard PSP games. Also, custom-built hardware is seldom more portable than commercial stuff.
Some suggestions about this point (driver? hardware?)
I need just to connect my PSP to the net, surfing it, read my e-mails while standing in hotels. Thanks
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

Well your best bet at this point for web surfing is to use Sony's browser. Too bad you can't do this without applying an evil firmware update. Well, maybe some clever soul will port FireFox onto the PSP.

For e-mail, you might consider trying to access it via a web interface. Most ISPs allow you to either (a) download e-mail using a local client, or (b) visit a web page to view and respond to messages. To do (b) while travelling, make sure your home computer is turned off so that it doesn't download your messages and prevent you from accessing them from the road. Then use the browser to accesss e-mail from your hotel.

Of course, the PSP screen is a bit small for many web pages, and without a proper keyboard you won't easily send a lot of lengthy messages. But it sounds like most of what you want to do should be possible using standard capabilities of the Sony hardware and firmware.

Building custom ethernet hardware and writing PSP drivers for it is a big job. I'm not even sure I would know where to start...
aldebaran

Post by aldebaran »

Dr. Vegetable you got the point!!! At this point my question is:
IS ANYONE interested in such a project? (or I'm a loner??). The more the better.
I'm starting surfing the net searching for some ideas (HW). If someone can help me with the drivers .... Thanks
shifty

eth to wifi

Post by shifty »

"I won't carry a device that converts ethernet to wireless ethernet, but
I will carry a device that converts ethernet to serial.