New file standard for PSP homebrew?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

F9zDark

New file standard for PSP homebrew?

Post by F9zDark »

**This is NOT a software request**

I have had this idea for while now and was contemplating on getting it going until I saw the release of an Unzip tool for the PSP, which essentially does the same thing that I had in mind.

But now I am throwing my idea out there to see how well received it is by the development community since, to see my idea to full fruition it will require some effort of other developers(namely, those working on shells and a few others).

My idea was basically to code a small homebrew application that would make use of a new file extension dubbed appropriately '.PSP'. This application would take this archive and extract the proper contents to the PSP/Game folder depending on the firmware (either 1.0 or 1.5).

My reasons for this was to make the PSP entirely independent of computers. The user could download the .PSP file from the website and using their favorite shell, extract, install and run the homebrew without ever needing to touch a computer.

The reason for this thread is to see how well received this idea is. If I were to cook up something capable of doing what I propose, would other developers be interested in seeing that this becomes a standard among the PSP homebrew scene?

As I said, this idea would require some help from mainly shell programmers, but is this something worth pursuing?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If I get you right, you want to create some kind of installer, that can be run on PSP to install homebrew which has been downloaded directly to PSP via the webbrowser?
Sounds interesting, though I don't get the point why this would need any shell. You could just write a installer homebrew which everyone wanting to directly download homebrew to their psp installs, and then, everytime when a file is downloaded, this installer needs to be run.

Could work out, though I dislike the file extension .PSP :P
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

My idea of having it integrated into the shells out there is to eliminate a step and/or extra loading. It can easily work with the application I had in mind, but for people using up-to-date shells on the go and missed out on picking up my app can still make use of it.

As I said, my intention was to eliminate the need for a computer, which I feel is a huge drawback to the PSP, since if anyone wants to keep their homebrew up to date when they are traveling or away from home, will need to also lug around a laptop.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And thatswhy I would also not bind such a generally useful tool to any shell. If any of the shells out there would want to integrate it's functionality, this shouldn't be any problem, at least if the installer is released open source.
Actually, it's not more work to start an installer instead of the shell first, before running the new downloaded homebrew.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

FYI there are already people working on an electronic distribution and install system for PSP homebrew
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Really? Could you provide me with some more information on that? Like a homepage for the project, if there is any.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

.PSP is also sony's format for psp binaries

i dont see why to create a new format ...why
not use regular ol' .ZIP files and create an
installer that will decompress/extract the files
to their proper place ....seems less of a hassle to me

but what do i know :)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
AnonymousTipster

Post by AnonymousTipster »

I agree with dot_blank. It's already possible to extract both .zip and .rar files to the memory stick, straight from downloading via a browser. All you need then is a file management program to move the folders into the right place, if not already. Or you could just download from somewhere like pspbrew which has them ready to be extracted to ms0: .
Mondy

Post by Mondy »

I agree with keeping the files as .zip as it makes it easier to work with on the psp or from a computer. An automated installer would be nice though to extract zip files from a specified folder as AnonymousTipster suggested.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Raphael wrote:Really? Could you provide me with some more information on that? Like a homepage for the project, if there is any.
There is no homepage for the project really... it's some old hands that are working on it, not any of these newcomers here ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Drakonite wrote: There is no homepage for the project really... it's some old hands that are working on it, not any of these newcomers here ;)
Heh, well, at least that sounds serious :) I'm really curious on this
Def Base

Post by Def Base »

That's actually a really good idea. If you consider the utility that Innosetup or Installshield has over a ZIP or RAR it's definitely worthwhile. It shouldn't be too hard to port a scripting engine/VM to the PSP either, leaving the compiler on the desktop.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Some good things to know. Glad I asked first before I dove right in.

I suppose sticking with ZIP might be the best option, since its widely used and doesn't necessitate the need for a new program on the computer.

Perhaps at this point, since ZIP may well become the format I use, it might be easier to look at the source of the PSP unzip program and see if I can just add the installation procedures on to it. Would be the more efficient option.

*ADDED*

Well I got the program, source wasn't included, so I am gonna have to contact the author or write my own program from scratch.
vista200

PSArchiver

Post by vista200 »

Hi there!

Based on this thread I began to create such a program from scratch... Now I got unzip to unzip single files, but I can't figure out, how to create folders based on the directory-"list" in the archive. But this will be a little problem compared to the problems I have had before...

I'm able to download something and get essential informations about the certain Homebrew...

I called it PSArchiver like Playstation Archiver. So you would be able to add PS3 Homebrews someday. The file-extension is ".psa"

Whoever is interested into taking part or to get some source code of the project: Feel free to contact me!

Sorry for my "german" English...

Yours sincerely,
vista200