OK to distribute kxploit-style binaries?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

chrismulhearn

OK to distribute kxploit-style binaries?

Post by chrismulhearn »

I want to make some software available, and I'm not sure if I should ONLY distribute the source, or also distribute binaries.

The software itself is benign from a copyright/whatever standpoint, but I'm not sure if distributing ANY kxploit binaries (am I calling it by the right name? The trick that allows binaries to run on firmware 1.5) is legal, no matter how benign.

Anyone have any sound knowledge on the subject? It seems like kxploit could be considered "circumvention" and therefore get one into trouble with the DMCA.

thanks.
Ostehovel

Post by Ostehovel »

Myself i do not think the Kxploit method is copyrighted or Illegal...
Its doing nothing illegal, its only using some of sony's bugs.
Bytrix

Post by Bytrix »

Most homebrew is distributed in 1.5 format. You should also distribute it in 1.0/single eboot format too. The majority of people who'll want to try your homebrew will not know what to do with the source.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

i can't see how kxploit would be illegal, even if the dmca would even apply here (which i doubt) then the interoperability exception would still be there, and allow you what you are doing. i won't be worried at all.
chrismulhearn

dmca was written for sony

Post by chrismulhearn »

Actually, interoperability is a very good point. That is, after all, precisely what my project aims for. Provide an operating system platform similar to what I already use on my PC. This will ease porting of applications that I already use on my PC, and therefore it will dramatically enhance interoperability.

But Sony isn't like a nice uncle you can explain this to. They may insist on these points:

DMCA forbids circumventing copy protection mechanisms.

KXploit circumvents a copy protection mechanism. Sony didn't want people coming up with ways to get unsigned code dumped off of their discs I guess, and then end up running them off the memory stick? Whatever, this is ridiculous that we even need to have this discussion.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

as long as you arent try to push yourself into their market (read: pirate their games, or create and sell unlicensed games) i pretty much doubt sony even remotely cares.
Marco_N

Re: dmca was written for sony

Post by Marco_N »

chrismulhearn wrote:KXploit circumvents a copy protection mechanism.
I think it's more an "execution of unauthorized (unsigned) code prevention" mechanism.

If you're really hesitant, only release the 1.0 EBOOT.PBP and most users will be able to convert this to a kxploit version (using PBP Unpacker or PSPBrew etc.)