A couple of quick questions...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

skan

A couple of quick questions...

Post by skan »

Hi everybody! :D
Since I'm completely new to this all and there's plenty of talented ppl who know their stuff in there, here is my contribution in the "silly newbie questions" category...

a) I work on Mac OsX: is it a pain in the ass to develop stuff for Ps2 on such system?

b) I've seen there's a CD-R release of Soopadoopa's "Aura for Laura" demo on the main site. Considering I've got a no-modded ps2, what is the fastest and cleanest way to run it? Independence-xploit maybe?(wanna watch it on my TV set in the living-room without moving computers, cables, ...)

thanx!

p.s.
Merry Xmas and happy new year to everybody in there! :D
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

a) doing crossdev on OSX isnt more difficult than on *nix or Win32

b) If you can get ps2link up and running on an mc with the help of the independece-xploit then thats all you need for deving and watching/running homebrew stuff.
Kung VU
skan

Post by skan »

Oki, thanx, but what I want to know is:
is there a way to boot Aura for Laura from CD with no modchip? Not the old question "I wanna boot everything from CDR with no modchip, what can I do?"
I mean: running that specific demo ONLY, I don't give a f..k about other stuff... Once I've got a working setup on my mac and the xploit thing on the ps2 side, I can go on with no probs, but when I move the Ps2 to the living room just to play a couple of games, I wanna watch Aura for Laura too! Ok, not so smart, but it's my fixation! ;)
I've read about UMCDR or CDX, but it seems that it's not a cool way to solve the problem... maybe? Dunno, this is why I'm here asking for a little help! :)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

No.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
pixel

Post by pixel »

Not from CD. Use the exploit, boot ps2link, and run aura from network.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.

Post by Guest »

skan wrote: is there a way to boot Aura for Laura from CD with no modchip? Not the old question "I wanna boot everything from CDR with no modchip, what can I do?"
I mean: running that specific demo ONLY, I don't give a f..k about other stuff...
I am sure that the author of "Aura for Laura" would be extremely flattered to know that there are people who there who think so highly of his code (it IS very good code by the way) that somehow it is so magical enough compared to all other demos that it alone might have been coded to magically boot off CD, contrary to the capabilities of all other demos in existance.

I personally think its a fine piece of work, and I too wish it could boot off CD to the magical exclusion of all other demos, representing a technique we could all use to safely run only demos with the "PS2DEV Seal (urph! urph! *flippers clapping*) of Approval" , but alas we all must remain content with the minor extra steps of booting it from other non-modchip methods, disappointing though it must be for you and us.

I am sure Raizor appreciates the attention though. :)
skan

Post by skan »

oki, thnx everybody...
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

gorim wrote:
skan wrote: is there a way to boot Aura for Laura from CD with no modchip? Not the old question "I wanna boot everything from CDR with no modchip, what can I do?"
I mean: running that specific demo ONLY, I don't give a f..k about other stuff...
I am sure that the author of "Aura for Laura" would be extremely flattered to know that there are people who there who think so highly of his code (it IS very good code by the way) that somehow it is so magical enough compared to all other demos that it alone might have been coded to magically boot off CD, contrary to the capabilities of all other demos in existance.

I personally think its a fine piece of work, and I too wish it could boot off CD to the magical exclusion of all other demos, representing a technique we could all use to safely run only demos with the "PS2DEV Seal (urph! urph! *flippers clapping*) of Approval" , but alas we all must remain content with the minor extra steps of booting it from other non-modchip methods, disappointing though it must be for you and us.

I am sure Raizor appreciates the attention though. :)
Uh... Every PS2 demo I've ever written (including the unreleased ones) and many other demos will boot just fine no matter where you launch them from. I'd say the demos which require booting via link software is in the minority now, but don't quote me on that ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development