.gz files

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Derek8588

.gz files

Post by Derek8588 »

Is there any possible way i can extract these with winzip? If not, what could I use? I want to test out the homebrew quake game for PS2. Thanks
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Winzip should be able to handle them fine, but if not you can use winrar instead.
Derek8588

Post by Derek8588 »

Thanks, but when i downloaded it, the file extension was .tar
The link on the site when i downloaded it was ________.tar.gz
So what can i use to extract this? Thanks for your help.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

I use winrar to extract these. with winrar you can right click on the file and tell it to extract to a dir and it takes care of the tarball for you and decompresses it.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Do people not even bother just trying anymore? You've got winzip, you've got a file... see if it will open for you. You don't have to wait for someone else to say ok. :)
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Sometimed Internet Explorer does that, It decompresses the gz on the fly as it downloads, but doesn't update the extension accordingly. Or Vice Versa.
I hevent used IE in a while, so I can't remember exactly what it gets up to, but it does do some funky buisness with these exrtensions. Try adding or removing the .gz to .tar and see if anything works.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
EugeneE3RD

Post by EugeneE3RD »

cheriff wrote:
Sometimed Internet Explorer does that, It decompresses the gz on the fly as it downloads, but doesn't update the extension accordingly. Or Vice Versa.
I hevent used IE in a while, so I can't remember exactly what it gets up to, but it does do some funky buisness with these exrtensions. Try adding or removing the .gz to .tar and see if anything works.
Correct. I remember when I used to use IE & I wanted to download the source code to a game which was a 100KB tar.gz file, IE downloaded 500KB since it decompress gz on the fly. This is one of the reasons why I don't use IE, I only use IE to view the windows update site, I use Mozilla Firefox for my web browsing.
You no mess with Lo Wang- Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior).
Derek8588

Im sorry...

Post by Derek8588 »

ooPo wrote:Do people not even bother just trying anymore? You've got winzip, you've got a file... see if it will open for you. You don't have to wait for someone else to say ok. :)
Sorry, It wouldnt extract with winzip. Plus dont you have to register for winrar after a 30 day free trial? Screw it, ill jus do that. You can go ahead and delete this thread now. Sorry once again.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Well, sometimes you have to buy software or find something better.

If you found something better it would be nice to share what it was.
EugeneE3RD

Re: Im sorry...

Post by EugeneE3RD »

Derek8588 wrote:
ooPo wrote:Do people not even bother just trying anymore? You've got winzip, you've got a file... see if it will open for you. You don't have to wait for someone else to say ok. :)
Sorry, It wouldnt extract with winzip. Plus dont you have to register for winrar after a 30 day free trial? Screw it, ill jus do that. You can go ahead and delete this thread now. Sorry once again.
Well, there are a good amount of freeware/open source decompressors which can decompress *.tar & *.gz files. For example, I use Ultimatezip 2.7.1 which is located at http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm .
You no mess with Lo Wang- Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior).