PS2 EE Serial Cable

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Derek8588

PS2 EE Serial Cable

Post by Derek8588 »

Hello. I havent been up here in a looong time. I jus recently installed the PS2 EE Serial Cable into my v1 ps2. I have successfully done this on a v4 and v7 before. But I cant seem to get it to work now. I used these settings.

None
Flow Control: Hardware

One of the first time I tried it, I got it to work. Then i was curious and wanted to see if i could send it stuff... So i went to

Transfer -> Send file -> Text File

Nothing happened, as i expected. But ever since I did that, I recieve odd text that displays some words like initialize, but the rest is a Looks like wingdings font or something. The font is set to terminal though.... Iv done this mod before and know what they are supposed to look like. Why is hyperterminal displaying this to me like this? Please help, I have tried almost everything i can think of. Thx

EDIT: I even tested the voltages coming from the ps2.
3.3v
TXD, RXD, Vcore = 1.7 v

What should the voltages be going from the circuit to the PC? Im thinking I damaged the serial board somehow...
offonoffoffonoff

Post by offonoffoffonoff »

howdy derek,

I think its extreemly unlikely that you damaged anything, since you get "initialize". that sounds like something is working. and then your getting bytes instead of smoke, a good sign.

Maybe you could post some of this wingdings font stuff, but if its little smily faces and greek letters and what not, its still ascii.

If you know EXACTLY what the output is supposed to look like (i dont know if your expectations are reasonable, because i dont really know what your trying to do), I would convert the ascii I expect to binay on paper, then convert the first little bit of what I'm actually getting also. then compare the bit patterns. If you miss the first start bit or expect a parity when there is none, then the bit patterns should look very similar but with a real obvious offset or an extra bit every 8th or something very regular.

If your expecting a different baud rate then what your getting, then the output will be pretty much random, because your grabbing random bits out of the stream as if they were sequential. If your into getting on your hands and knees, use an oscilloscope to see if TXD is going at the frequency you expect.

hope that helps.
| open source is the future |
| creativity will eclipse ego |
| but we knew this already |