movie /music/game menus

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

kosinus

movie /music/game menus

Post by kosinus »

hello
I m from canada, here we recivied psp with a UMD demo disc...

if you go in the movie section, music section , game section, you can launch some kind of dvd menu interface with different things

the movie section: you can acces umd controls with triangle key, similar to spiderman menu sections
the audio section: exact same thing

the game section: this is the same kind of interface, but with no menu on triangle key , and confirmation to go back to menu by home key just like any game, so it is an executable...

so the thing is: you can launch some kind of dvd menu from video and music section...and maybe in fact it s an executable

but maybe this is locked on memstick (quite sure :(.... ) and just available for umd

maybe the security is easier to bypass than trying to launch unencrypted file from game menu...I don t know...

anyone knows what kind of files are stored in umd demo disk to generate thoses menus ?
Phour20

Post by Phour20 »

Ive wondered this too myself.. Cuz it also doesnt boot to the PSP screen like games do.. It does act very different..
netwerx

Post by netwerx »

i would imagine that the demo disc can use some sort of menu system built on the umd.

the point that it doesn't boot like a game is kinda interesting.

however, lets say soemone figures out how to make menus on the psp, i doubt you could run code that way. i would imagine even if you could get code to run, it would have to be signed.
kosinus

Post by kosinus »

the thing that is strange, is that the umd movie browser application is very similar in the movie/music section and in the game section.

do you think they remade the browser in prx or whatever format (a stand alone menu aplication) for the game section

or the game section just boot some kind of emulator that permit to launch the umd menu movie interface...
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Exactly. A UMD can choose to have a self-boot sequence or not. It's just that Sony requires(?) that games have that self-boot data in them. Take out that data, and no self-boot.