How to use makefiles

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

s00pcan

How to use makefiles

Post by s00pcan »

I need to know how to use makefiles and libraries because up until now I have only used IDEs to write code. With them, you press a button to compile and run the program. If someone can point out how to use makefiles and convert it into a pbp, I can get started. Once I know that, all I need are the libraries (which I can probably find easily, but it doesn't matter yet), and some sample code, and I can get started.
byg

Post by byg »

Have you _even_ tried to search the net for info? makefiles are not PSP specific.
Modasi Games : www.modasi.com
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

in lunix or unix boxs, you just type "make" and it will run the make file. if your using a windows, you can use cygwin. install toolchain, then go into dir and type "make", or you can create a bat file. check out hello world sticky.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Post by Guest »

Thanhda wrote:in lunix or unix boxs, you just type "make" and it will run the make file.
Thanhda, he needs a proper Makefile to start with, before he can type "make". Why don't you help him with that ?
Thanhda

Re: How to use makefiles

Post by Thanhda »

to gorim: well he said how to use not make. check it out.
s00pcan wrote: I need to know how to use makefiles and libraries
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Post by Guest »

Thanhda wrote:to gorim: well he said how to use not make. check it out.
He said how to use "makefiles" not "make". Check it out and make an appointment with an optometrist if I am right.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

gorim wrote:
Thanhda wrote:to gorim: well he said how to use not make. check it out.
He said how to use "makefiles" not "make". Check it out and make an appointment with an optometrist if I am right.
but typing "make" in the console screen in the dir of the makefile is how to run it. if he ask how to create a make file that would be different.
byg

Post by byg »

Thanhda wrote: but typing "make" in the console screen in the dir of the makefile is how to run it. if he ask how to create a make file that would be different.
I should think that if he knows how to create a makefile he won't need to be told to type 'make'. Don't you think? If he has a pre-built makefile, then 5 or 10 minutes of googling will probably give up all the info he needs.
Modasi Games : www.modasi.com
s00pcan

Post by s00pcan »

I don't use linux and I know it can be done on windows. The source for doom for the psp has a batch file that creates the eboot... but it doesn't seem to be working now like it did before. I'll try what the second guy said to do. And just to clear things up, I don't want to write my own makefiles, I want to make premade makefiles. If I should be writing them, tell me.