Rotating a 2D sprite in libGU?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Kinsman

Rotating a 2D sprite in libGU?

Post by Kinsman »

I've been looking through the libGU samples, and while rotating a billboard sprite in a 3D world seems easy enough, I'm not sure how you could rotate a sprite using the GU_TRANSFORM_2D setup. Does anyone know how it's done?

-Sean Givan
chp

Post by chp »

Well, if you're using GU_TRANSFORM_2D, you have to deal with it yourself. Either, you could setup a Ortho-matrix (2D projection) and use GU_TRANSFORM_3D, or use the following formula

Code: Select all

x = cos(a)*x - sin(a)*y
y = sin(a)*x + cos(a)*y
to rotate you coordinates before displaying them.

Or, you could use matrix-math to transform coordinates, but then I'd suggest you setup a ortho-matrix anyway.

I should perhaps do a small example on doing 2D projections, as people seem to want to know how to do them.
GE Dominator
apache37

Post by apache37 »

chp wrote:

I should perhaps do a small example on doing 2D projections, as people seem to want to know how to do them.
Yes I would love to see this :)
ector

Post by ector »

Code: Select all

float width = right-left;
	float height = bottom-top;
	float depth = near-far; //depth is reversed on psp
	m[0*4+0] = 2.0f/width;
	m[1*4+1] = 2.0f/height;
	m[2*4+2] = 2.0f/depth;
	m[3*4+0] = -(left+right)/width;
	m[3*4+1] = -(top+bottom)/height;
	m[3*4+2] = -(near+far)/depth;
	m[3*4+3] = 1.0f;
My orthogonal projection matrix calculation function. Works fine for me :P
You may want to negate the Y axis though depending on your preference.
dctrvenkman

Post by dctrvenkman »

I'm looking for more information on using GU_TRANSFORM_2D also. Altho I'm not trying to rotate just simple translations. I've been trying to translate by updating the x and y coords in my vertices but I've been getting weird reactions. For example save in my vertices array I have 12 vertices (4 triangles) and I update the x member for all of them (thinking all 4 triangles should move horizontally). Only some of the vertices will update in the display (not even necessarily all verts in a triangle). Another issuse is when I attach the x or y transforms to key presses (dpad) its like the view doest update in real time tho the code works fine if I use GU_TRANSFORM_3D. maybe I'd doing something really stupid. A nice little demo using GU_TRANSFORM_2D and some simple transforms might be nice.
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

dctrvenkman wrote:Only some of the vertices will update in the display (not even necessarily all verts in a triangle).
Sounds like you aren't flushing the D cache after updating the vertex array - either do that, or use uncached memory for your array (add 0x40000000 to your pointer).
dctrvenkman

Post by dctrvenkman »

is there a function to flush the cache or a way to allocate uncached memory rather than changing the address for my pointer. if not thanks anyway and I'll try adding 0x40000000 to my pointer in the meantime
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

Use sceKernelDcacheWritebackAll() (defined in <pspuser.h>) to write the whole data cache.
dctrvenkman

Post by dctrvenkman »

thanks I already found it. Took me a while cuz the docs seem fairly non-intuitive and the minimum documentation leaves a lil to be desired (which is prob why there are so many beginner questions). I'll test it later.