PSP - Graphics Article Prequel

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

NPherno

PSP - Graphics Article Prequel

Post by NPherno »

So, today I finished my PSP Graphics Engine. It's a very simple thing coded for a 'last minute' PSP project. It's not terribly full featured (yet, it's only 2 weeks old), but I've written a dozen engines (graphics or otherwise) for nearly every modern platform under the sun, and this engine will grow as needed.

So why the hell am I posting here?

Well, I see all sorts of odd questions about graphics, image formats, CLUT, etc... and I want to help. But for various reasons, I really can't say much about API usage details, techincal info, etc... BUT I _can_ talk about general graphics 'how to' stuff. I _can_ tell you what I did, without too much detail, and I can take questions when possible.

So... I need a few days to really gather my thoughts & write this up. But I want to know a few things before I am done:

First, what sorts of graphics topics do you want me to cover besides the ones I am already planning to address (graphics processing & general logic overlap, 'zero stall' display lists (aka fire & forget), proper image loading & formating techniques, limited resource management (VRAM is a great example on the PSP), etc) ?

Next, in the areas I am going to cover, are there any projects out there that render _only_ from textures in VRAM? Are there any that render entirely offline (the render isn't occuring as the list is built, but the list isn't static or pre-compiled), etc, etc, etc?

I have looked around and I haven't seen _any_ terribly advanced topics covered around here, and while I don't want to get myself into trouble, I do feel like better techniques need to be talked about in this forum & put to use.

So, please, tell me what you think, and if I see enough attention, I'll throw up some _very_ handy info, albiet without too much raw C code (but I will use pseudo code, I am sure that's alright).

N
ufoz

Post by ufoz »

You mean you're an "official" dev? Please do! Unless you're under NDA or something... I guess you can judge how much you're allowed to say.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

First, what sorts of graphics topics do you want me to cover besides the ones I am already planning to address (graphics processing & general logic overlap, 'zero stall' display lists (aka fire & forget), proper image loading & formating techniques, limited resource management (VRAM is a great example on the PSP), etc) ?
As I have quite some knowledge on graphics stuff myself, but am still lacking a lot of professional 'tricks' for better performance, I'm greatly curious on this article. The things that do interest me the most are the limited resource management and the 'zero stall' display list. Yet just anything that deals with good use of resources to optimize performance. So just shoot out whatever you can :)
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Good idea !

I really would like to know more about graphic implementation stuffs and this article looks really interesting !
dom

Post by dom »

Thank you for your future help.

If you have some informations that you
can give us on the VME, it would be appreciated.
@+
dom