actually newbie's indepth questions

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DreamShore

actually newbie's indepth questions

Post by DreamShore »

Well, I'm new to psp programming. I'd like to ask you guys something.

1. Are there any documents for psp like the old "Everything you wanted to know about PSX" for psx? All documents I can find now are either fragments or tutorials. Hardly can I catch some major information on how the environment exactly is.

2. What is that M33 SDK? M33 library and modules is required to enter kernel mode?

3. How is this kernel mode like anyway? How does Sony protect the kernel environment?

4. What's the different between supervisors and servers? Just role? Or they have different privilege?

thanks forward
Last edited by DreamShore on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bkc

Post by bkc »

1. there is non because there is almost no info about the psp's hardware. However there is the PSPSDK Documentation (http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/) and all the samples in the sdk :-)

2. SDK = Software Development Kit. Stuff you need to make coding not a living hell ;-)

3. Don't know... never use... I like user mode better (because I code for cfw5.00m33-6)

4. No idea what that is :-P
I only speak these languages:
  • C / C + +
  • (x)HTML
  • PHP
  • CSS
  • SQL
  • JavaScript
DreamShore

Post by DreamShore »

thanks

About the doc, I found http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yapspd/psp_d ... tml#idx9.1 looks like quite a lovely thing.

----

one more, question:

NIDs never change, am I right?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

DreamShore wrote:one more, question:

NIDs never change, am I right?
No. They didn't change up to 3.5x, but after that, Sony changed them every update to try to make D_A's life more interesting. :)

D_A started putting a NID resolver into the CFW at 3.80, so as long as you use 3.80 or better, you can use the old 3.5x and earlier NIDs.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Only for the functions that are handled by the NIDs resolver though. There are some unhandled kernel functions for which you will need to manually give the correct NID for that firmware version, and your kernel app will work only on that firmware.

But you'll never normally need to use such functions.