I have a lot of questions now^^

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

breaKdown

I have a lot of questions now^^

Post by breaKdown »

Hi again...

First off, sorry for my bad english, I'm german^^

last night my freind and I decided to write an IDE for PSP development, which is able to autoconfigure CYGWIN and the Toolchain, and all the things...so if a new toolchain is available or new packages, everything will be updated by the IDE (just some nice features to say ;) ). But we got a lot of questions, before we can begin to programm...so here are some of them:

1) What is the "newtoolchain"

2) Can you please tell us, for what all commands in "Makefile" stands for?
Here is a example of MPH's Firmware Emulator:

Code: Select all

TARGET = out
OBJS = $(wildcard *.c Utils/*.c)

INCDIR =
CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall
CXXFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
ASFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)

LIBDIR =
LDFLAGS =
LIBS =

PSPSDK=$(shell psp-config --pspsdk-path)
include $(PSPSDK)/lib/build.mak
As you can see, we are totaly n00bs....but this is our goal to write this IDE....so to begin....please describe me for what every command is standing for, and what possibilities and commands are also available to add?

3) what is the "build.mak"

4) how does the compiler now, where all included header files are? If I for example say "#include <pspctrl.h>" ... from where da hell does the compiler knows where the header file is?...and how can I out this into an IDE?

5) Why do I have to download all packages from CYGWIN? Do I realy need Apache and the other things? If yes...for what? If not..what packages do I realy need?

6) Is there something else I should know? Compilerparameters or something?

7) For what is the PSPSDK realy for? (Please don't laugh^^)

As you can see I realy need to know everthing about this....I want, that users will be able to download any source from inet, open it with the IDE, and compile it....without any changes or something.

Would be great if some german budy could read this, who realy knows everthing about this....but If you just speak english, it's also OK...this is my ICQ number: 331883890...If you relay think you know everthing, then just tell me over ICQ and we add you to the Creadits in the Aboutbox^^.

VERY VERY SPECIAL THX IN ADVANCE. IF EVERTHING WORKS FINE, YOU CAN EXPACT AN UNBELIEVEABLE IDE!!!
HaQue

Post by HaQue »

I think you are taking on something you won't be able to finish, and it seems you don't know how to actually program, or program well. Im NOT flaming, just offering friendly advice!

for example, everything you ask can easily be found using google and programming websites, as there isnt anything really special about the basic method of PSP programming.

To work on a project of this nature, you will need lots of initiative to research data yourself.

Another example:
4) how does the compiler now, where all included header files are? If I for example say "#include <pspctrl.h>" ... from where da hell does the compiler knows where the header file is?...and how can I out this into an IDE?
if you use #include <pspctrl.h> the compiler looks in the preconfigured path for the .h file, and if you use #include "pspctrl.h" it looks in the directory you are compiling the source from(the current directory). This is very basic knowledge.

To make the IDE as you suggest with keeping everything up to date, you would need to know every part of the IDE VERY well to know what you need to change everytime 1 of those components change.

I believe the current ./toolchain works very well, all I do is:
svn update
./toolchain

and a while later the PSPSDK is working great.

If you do decide to go ahead with it I wish you success.

Regards,

HaQue