Problem with PSPLINK please help.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Dragonuk

Problem with PSPLINK please help.

Post by Dragonuk »

Ok, after installing the driver,

When I run the usbhostfs_pc.exe

it says

USBHOSTFS
Connected to device.

But then it says :

Error, invalid magic 4F53492F

What does this mean? and how should i fix it.

Thanks for your help

*EDIT* please does no one know what this error message means?
Dragonuk

Post by Dragonuk »

Does no one know what this error is?
__count

Post by __count »

magic values are often used as a sanity check or sometimes as a version check.

Make sure the psplink, usbhostfs and pcterm are all of the same svn revision.
Dragonuk

Post by Dragonuk »

Its something to do with using a pcmcia usb 2.0 card, and using the ports on that.

On my other pc if I use the same files but the usb 2.0 on the motherboard it works fine.

Any ideas why I get this only with a pcmcia usb 2.0 card. (I have usb 1.1) so i want to use this card if possible

Is there anyway to fix it?
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

I've got exactly the same problem dragonuk,
I got 2 laptops. 1 recent with USB2 on motherboard, usbhostfs works perfectly fine on that one and the PSP connects alright. Operations work perfect.

On my 2nd, older laptop, i've tried connecting via both USB1.1 from motherboard and PCMCIA USB2.0 slots. usbhostfs reports no problem, the PSP connects also, but as soon as i try an operation the PSP freezes.

I've spent a few hours trying to upgrade my USB drivers, find a way to have usbhostfs display errors to check what's wrong, change usbhostfs's USB timeout, etc.. but am still totally clueless. O_o

If anyone has more info on this, please tell, you'll make my day ;)
Later,

Alcahest
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

ah that could explain why psplinks freezes for me after connecting too, i have usb1.1

mayba psplink is not compatible with 1.1?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

I also have issues with usb1.1, e.g directory listings freeze. Luckily I can still execute programs from pcterm and get console output.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Ok, as crazy as it's gonna sound, it seems to be a Windows bug.
I found the solution, which worked perfeclty in my case, on a Chinese BBS.
The problem lies in the current NTUSER.DAT, and therefore the bug is clearly caused by some registry entry in HKCU.

The solution is to create a new user profile, which will create a new user NTUSER.DAT at \Documents and Settings\NEWUSER\NTUSER.DAT
Then simply reboot Windows and work from this new user account, usbhostfs now works perfectly, no more freezing or problems!

Of course you will lose all your settings temporarily but at least it works.

Now if someone could find which registry entry is responsible for the bug, we wouldn't even need the dummy user account to use usbhostfs.

Please try & report if it worked for you.
It's not a problem of USB1.1 or USB2 at all in the end!
Later,

Alcahest
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

I MADE IT! Found the culprit!!
As I had thought, it was indeed a f*cking key in HKCU !

The key in question is
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions]
just remove it, and PRESTO IT WORKS FINE! (usbhostfs will create a new one)
I had some weird values in Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 that were incompatible with usbhostfs. (no idea how they got in there ^^;)

Hehe and since creating a new user account didn't create those keys it worked fine from there.

But no need for this trick anymore!
Hope it helps,
Later,

Alcahest
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Found another culprit on my DELL D620 laptop. It has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG where I have to disable radio for psplink to work properly. If radio is on, communication will be very slow and times out after a short while.

EDIT: I've tried everything, but can't get it to work with the internal Intel Wireless enabled. I've updated all wlan and usb drivers, latest version of libusb, killed all processes which may interfer, disabled all kinds of hw devices, disabled firewall & virusscanner, etc., etc. A few seconds after enabling wlan pcterm will become extremely slow, for example during a directory listing (ls), and then it will terminate with an error. When that happens psplink will also quit on the psp. Anyone with ideas?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Pfff, finally found the cause of the problem. Indeed it has nothing to do with the hardware, but it's all down to the user accounts cygwin uses.

Following Alcahest's tip I found that psplink works perfect when running cygwin from the local administrator account. Directory listings and program loading work at top speed. Back in my own (domain) account, removing the registry key which Alcahest mentions in his post above did not solve the problem.

I then started changing the /cygwin/etc/passwd file: I copied the 'administrator' line and changed the start of that line (username) to my username. This finally made psplink work. A big step forward, but unfortunately it was not as fast as using psplink in the local admin account. I then decided to create a local windows account with the same username as my domain account and immediately after firing up cygwin I ran:

mkpasswd -l -c > /etc/passwd
mkgroup -l -c > /etc/group

Also in this local windows account psplink worked perfect at full speed. Finally I logged in with my domain account again and presto, psplink works fine :)

Time to start some serious developing again. I had better taken the time to set up linux in vmware ... ah well ...