porting Daphne to psp

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

wulfie

porting Daphne to psp

Post by wulfie »

Would anyone be interested in attempting to port Daphe to psp? What is Daphne you ask. It's a laserdisc emulator, used to run such games as Dragon's Lair I/II, Space Ace, Cliff Hanger, etc. It's open source and can be found here.. http://www.daphne-emu.com/ It runs perfectly on my 1.4Ghz laptop ;) So, anyone interested? Or is this just a pipedream?

Wulfie
psiko_scweek

ok...

Post by psiko_scweek »

alright looking at the min. requirements for the Linux and PC versions...its stated that for full screen it should be

800mhz
128mb of RAM
8MB vid

As far as i can see though, it uses SDL, SDL_mixer, Zlib, and Ogg Vorbis, all of which have been ported to the PSP as well.

granted these specs are with the OS running in the background as well, so it may work. lol, need a good porter though!
angryowl

Re: ok...

Post by angryowl »

psiko_scweek wrote:alright looking at the min. requirements for the Linux and PC versions...its stated that for full screen it should be

800mhz
128mb of RAM
8MB vid

As far as i can see though, it uses SDL, SDL_mixer, Zlib, and Ogg Vorbis, all of which have been ported to the PSP as well.

granted these specs are with the OS running in the background as well, so it may work. lol, need a good porter though!
A fair bit of the power required goes to mpeg2 decoding and audio decoding and playback. Two things that the PSP is pretty good at. The source MPEG data for Daphne games, however, is way over-rezzed for the PSP, and should be downconverted to be disk space intensive and require less processing.

I imagine that with resampled MPEG's, Daphne could work fine on the PSP.
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

how about converting the mpeg to pmp? I know that would limit the use to 1.50 users, but aren't most homebrew enthusiast running 1.50 anyhow? ;) But seriously, anyone feel like taking a stab at it? Hell, I'd even PAY for a port ;) If I knew ANYTHING about coding, I would have already given it a shot :(