Compiling with Cygwin

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

bobcobb

Compiling with Cygwin

Post by bobcobb »

Hello, I am new to the PSP dev scene, have a little experience in Java but really no real world experience as far as programming. I got cygwin up and running thanks to Yeldarbs tutorial, and I started searching sourceforge for a game to port to the PSP. I found rRootage and Raptor, for I am dreaming of games like these on the PSP. I was wondering if compiling for the PSP is vastly different than normally compiling a file. Can I follow the readme's instructions to compile it to an EBOOT.PBP or do I need to do something differently. Sorry for the noobishness I am afflicted with, but I will someday conquer the programming world! You just wait!

EDIT: Another question, Raptor requires Allegro and DUMB music libraries to be installed. How do I install them into the PSPSDK?
rinco

Post by rinco »

Raptorv2 (not to be confused with the awesome original) does indeed require Allegro and DUMB. Porting libraries is sometimes easy and other times difficult. I would guess that porting either of these libraries would be difficult (at least, to the uninitiated).

The other game you propose, rRootage would seem somewhat more realistic. SDL has been kicking around for several weeks now, and porting is straightfoward (see my post on how little was required to port SMS).
bobcobb

Post by bobcobb »

thanks rinco, will the port require alot of recoding to get it to run on the psp? I can handle simple recoding, but anything drastic might hurt me. Thanks in advance for all the help, as I don't think the dev scene would last if those with the knowledge were cruel to those without.
rinco

Post by rinco »

Creating a Makefile.psp for rr is easy enough. The problem with this port is that BulletML depends on Boost. I already skipped Boost previously, because I am unfamiliar with the Jam build tools that are required to build.

If the Boost requirement was removed, or someone with the necessary motivation and skills were to port Boost... then I suspect an rr port would be a walk in the park. But right now rr would appear to be a challenging port.

If you aren't up for the challenge then you best find software that's already been ported to esoteric platforms, ie Beos/Xbox/Dreamcast/GP32.