New to PSP Development

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

NeoSkeith666

New to PSP Development

Post by NeoSkeith666 »

Hi. I'm Alex. I'm very good at coding in Visual Basic and Javascript. I have a PSP Firmware 2.0 and would like to use the new buffer overflow exploit to make games for my PSP , similar to the already made Tetris and Pong for the 2.0. I already have those on my PSP and have been waiting like a week for new stuff to come out, but nothing. So, i have decided to make my own games. Can anyone here help me get started?
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

IMHO: you should "downgrade" to 1.50, then use the regular PSPSDK to make your first game.
There are simple samples in the PSPSDK and (relatively) lots of experience doing it that way.

Writing code for the TIFF exploit is brand new, much more limiting, and *may* be made obsolete if someone writes an ELF loader (ie. by the time you get your program working under 1.50, 2.0 homebrew will likely be radically different than it is today)
NeoSkeith666

downgraded already

Post by NeoSkeith666 »

I have already downgraded, but i got really bored w/o AVC and the browser, so i upgraded back. The reason why i wanna do that is so i can keep all of 2.0's features and still have some basic games to keep me entertained
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

That's the tradeoff. If you want the best "user machine" then stick with 2.0. If you want the best "developer machine" then downgrade to 1.5 (or even better buy a retro 1.0).
If you can handle the delay, you can switch between 2.0 and 1.50 when needed.
Right now 2.0 development is very primitive compared to 1.50.

IMHO if your goal is to help the 2.0 users, writing an ELF loader (using the 2.0 TIFF hack) would be more leveraged if you like that kind of hacking.
If you have a 1.5 working program that you want to port/adapt to 2.0, that's a different matter (less work, but less leverage)
If writing a game from scratch - my advice remains the same (write it under 1.50, worry about 2.0 later)
NeoSkeith666

Post by NeoSkeith666 »

actually now that i think about it there is an EBOOT loader for 2.0. Very basic, yes. But still. How can i make eboots about 50K but still with some fun games just basic enough
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

NeoSkeith666 : if you PM me your email address, I'll forward you my code for the 2.0 Tetris game, if you want something to mess about with.

You're on your own with VB though - all my source is in C, I'm not sure how easy it will be to work with VB at this level - you need some pretty good control over the code that's generated, so C and assembler are most valuable.

Plus, it must be about 15 years since I did any VB coding :)
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

And BTW, the current EBOOT loader has serious problems loading pretty much anything other than the proof-of-concept "hello world" eboot.

I'm working on improving it's compatibility (and I'm sure others are too) but for now, EBOOTs on v2.0 are pretty much a no-no.
NeoSkeith666

hmm

Post by NeoSkeith666 »

Fanjita....aren't you the dude who made the tetris game?
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Yep - otherwise I wouldn't be able to offer you the source, since that's not been generally released yet.

:)
spiderman

Post by spiderman »

cool... fanjita, u sound like someone who knows what's going on... i will be bugging u these next few months as i attempt and fail at this whole psp development thing :)

i'm tryin to get xmen vs. streetfighter working on the PSP... and when i say try, i mean... i have just begun to read the beginners tutorials :)