Lua Player at the O'Reilly European Open Source Convention

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Shine

Lua Player at the O'Reilly European Open Source Convention

Post by Shine »

Nevyn (Joachim) and I (Frank) will give a speech about Easy Game Console Hacking: An introduction to Lua Player on the PSP and perhaps a BOF, too. My English is not the best, so mostly Nevyn will talk about it.
Last edited by Shine on Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nem

Post by nem »

The session was good to see.
See you later at Maker Faire at EuroOSCON ;)
Shine

Post by Shine »

First I would like to thank you nem, for joining Nevyn and me at the Maker Faire and presenting the parts of your disassembled PSP, with the PSP main board, from which you've desoldered the flash and other chips. Without your first Hello World breaktrough, Lua Player would not be possible. Some pictures are available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/x180/sets/1145208/ . You can see me in one picture of the second page, presenting the Hypterminal connection with PSP, with a bit of nem in the middle of the photo. I haven't found Nevyn, but there were some more photographers and I'm sure more pictures will appear in some blogs and websites.

The talk of Nevyn and me was well taken up, thanks to Nevyn's nice preparation of the slides on his Mac. And looks like some people even understood my live presentation how to develop a simple game in the second half of the talk, in spite of my broken English. At least nobody leaved the hall and we had some applause at the end :-)

The other talks were interesting, too. For example, if you develop Web applications, like I do sometimes for customer projects, there is an interesting system called Plone. I don't like the system itself, because I don't like Zope, but there are nice ideas, like writing test cases for your web application in Java Script, which fills out automaticly login fields, simulates button presses and so on. The advantage compared to other systems, like HttpUnit, is, that it runs in the browser itself, which means that your applications is tested like a user clicks through it.

So, now back to work. Perhaps I'll find some time this weekend for Lua Player to finish the OpenGL integration.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

do you mean this image?
i wish we had some developers like this here too!!!

greets
lumo
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
Shine

Post by Shine »

LuMo wrote:do you mean this image?
yes.
LuMo wrote:i wish we had some developers like this here too!!!
there is no url.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

oops
meant this
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
KawaGeo

Post by KawaGeo »

Which one on page 2 are you in, Shine?
Geo Massar
Retired Engineer
Shine

Post by Shine »

KawaGeo wrote:Which one on page 2 are you in, Shine?
I'm on the right side in the picture LuMo posted (not the link with the ravishingly beautiful looking woman :-)
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

What's that homemade looking device in front of the PSP? ;)
Shine

Post by Shine »

MikeHaggar wrote:What's that homemade looking device in front of the PSP? ;)
That's the RS232 to PSP voltage converter with a MAX 232. With the Lua Player 0.11 and the serial IO example, the characters entered in Hypterterminal on PC are sent to the PSP and echoed back to the PC (but there were some transmission bugs. I've tested it again on my breadboard setup at home and it worked without problems, so I think it may be the cables. When I have some more time, I'll create a professional PCB for it, with an additional keyboard adapter).
aldebaran

Post by aldebaran »

So, do you mean that you can connect a serial keyboard to the PSP, right? What about the drivers? I'm very curious!
Shine

Post by Shine »

The presentation and the live demonstration project files are online now: http://www.luaplayer.org/