Re: Where to get UMD Emulator source code ?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

stinkymeat

Re: Where to get UMD Emulator source code ?

Post by stinkymeat »

I understand that UMD emulators are illegal (or at least the versions circulating the web) but I was wondering as a follow-up to the last post on what grounds are they illegal? Do they use files that are Sony's IP or is it that UMD iso's are signed by Sony in some way and copy protection circumvention is illegal?

The reason for enquiry is that it would someday be nice to pack homebrew in a single ISO for distribution, thus not worrying about folders and all sorts.

I don't consider this trolling or OT.
dankydoo

Post by dankydoo »

mrbrown, this is all you.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

We've established a long time ago the reasons why we don't discuss or encourage UMD access in homebrew programs. You are free to consult the forum archives for that lengthy discussion.

Any other discussion on the subject is extremely OT and will be treated as such. Locked. Please do not reopen another thread, it's no fun for me to lock these threads.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

dankydoo wrote:mrbrown, this is all you.
And if you do have a personal quarrel with me or further wish to voice your disagreement with this policy, feel free to PM me instead of cluttering up the forums with pointless debate. Thanks!