Moving files from the Memory Stick to a USB Device

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

The Tjalian

Moving files from the Memory Stick to a USB Device

Post by The Tjalian »

Hey all.

Before I start, if it isn't obvious already, I'm not too experienced in the ways of PS2-specific programming, although I am definitely NOT a newbie in general, so if this comes across as "This is stupid/easy", forgive me :P

Ok, with that weirdly awkward disclaimed out of the way...

As some of you may know, Sony have finally released an answer to the age old question "How can you transfer saves from the PS2 to the PS3?". Only problem is, this involves money (using some sort of converter/adaptor). To me, that doesn't fly. I don't see why I should have to PAY Sony to transfer my files over just because they don't want to add in legacy memory card ports.

I wasn't really sure if this goes in the Ideas and Concepts section or here, but I figured I wanted questions answered instead of a "This would be intresting to do" type post. Would it be possible to code a simple app that allows you to detect a USB Storage Device, and then being able to copy all of the files from your memory card to the USB Storage device, ready to put on the PS3?

No, this isn't a request (that's not really my style). I was wondering if a) this is possible and b) how hard would it be to do. I don't mind learning additional programming in my own time (although I do know the principles of programming, as well as a bit of Java, if that helps (which I'm sure it would)) if it means writing this app.

Thanks

-- The Tjalian
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

It should be pretty trivial to do, it'd be just like writing an app to copy files on a fairly standart PC environment:

Code: Select all

// load appropriate usbmass and memcard drivers
FILE in = fopen("mc0:somefile");
FILE out = fopen("mass:someotherfile");
while(notdone){
     fread(stuff, in);
     fwrite(stuff, out);
}
// cleanup
My pseudo code sucks, but you get the point.

The hardest part would be the UI and knowing where and how the ps3 would expect the files to be on the usbstick...
Damn, I need a decent signature!
The Tjalian

Post by The Tjalian »

Ah, I see, fantastic! Thanks :)

The UI could technically just be "Press X to copy all files over", if really necessary. Of course, I wouldn't mind doing something a bit flashier, but hey, that's what alpha is for! :

About the PS3 part; I'm sure that's something I (or anybody) could figure out if they just go to create a new game on a PS2 game in the PS3. Considering Sony is using the PS2 hardware in the PS3, it should all be the same type of save states (I mean, why would you go to great efforts to create a new save type?).

Now it's just figuring out how to setup PS2SDK :lol:

Once again, thanks :)
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

The Tjalian wrote:Ah, I see, fantastic! Thanks :)

The UI could technically just be "Press X to copy all files over", if really necessary. Of course, I wouldn't mind doing something a bit flashier, but hey, that's what alpha is for! :
In fact several homebrew applications already exist which can copy PS2 gamesave folders from a PS2 memory card to USB mass storage devices (like flash memory sticks, or even USB HDD), using FAT32 filesystem. The problem is that such copying doesn't preserve PS2-specific attributes, since those don't exist in FAT32.

One program (uLaunchELF) solves that problem by storing those attributes in a separate file, from which they can be restored when restoring the backup to MC. But that would be no help with a PS3, which expects some Sony standard for doing it. However, I'm sure that PS3-compatible copying methods will be added to such programs, once the methods needed become known.

About the PS3 part; I'm sure that's something I (or anybody) could figure out if they just go to create a new game on a PS2 game in the PS3.
Of course that will be done, but people can't even start on that work until the PS3 console is available.

Considering Sony is using the PS2 hardware in the PS3, it should all be the same type of save states (I mean, why would you go to great efforts to create a new save type?).
The problem is that the PS2-specific file attributes must be readable with some games, in order for them to accept the saves as valid. If even one of those attribute flags is lost, some games will simply claim that the save is corrupted, and refuse to load it (even though every real byte in every file is correct).

This means that Sony must choose one of three different methods to handle this:

1: Ignore it, and lose compatibility with some games, by simply storing saves as normal folders in a standard filesystem (FAT32?).

2: Use a standard filesystem (FAT32?), but add some extra file(s) to carry the PS2-specific attributes for each save (similar to uLaunchELF method, except Sony-designed).

3: Create a new Sony-specific filesystem that can handle PS2/PS3-specific attributes directly.

But it's meaningless to speculate on which of these choices Sony has made, until we can try it on a real PS3 console.

Best regards: dlanor
The Tjalian

Post by The Tjalian »

Oh, snap, I guess it was kinda foolish to think there wasn't one anyway :P

I guess I'll let the others deal with this then, lol. I definitely won't be buying a PS3 at launch, this'd be something that would only be beneficial to others. So by the time I would of had one, I bet the whole dealie would of been sorted anyway :P

Looks like I'll be going back to learning PSP coding, heh.

-- Teej