Encrypted MEMCARD1.DAT and 2? (PSX games)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

melado

Encrypted MEMCARD1.DAT and 2? (PSX games)

Post by melado »

Hi.

With all the PSX stuff on the PSP, everybody is re-taking their old games. Some even have saved games where continue from.

There are two files for each PSX game, called MEMCARD1.DAT and MEMCARD2.DAT, of 131120 bytes of size each, and with obvious content. They look like encrypted with a different key for each game and memory slot (even when all game slots are empty, file 1 and 2 are different).

I tried using a memory card file from ePSXe (131072 bytes), but it doesn't work, I get a 80000004 error.

So... I'm just a noob without much knowledge about this topic, and this is everything I could get. Now it's your turn ;)

Any ideas?
FreePlay

Post by FreePlay »

80000004 seems to be a catch-all error code for the POPS emulator, in my experience. I get the same error when I try to run it from my Undiluted Platinum chip.

I assume that the data is encrypted, probably in the same fashion as essentially all the other PSP savedata. Once we figure out the key for encryption (which must be stored somewhere in either the DATA.PSP of the EBOOT or in the firmware itself), decrypting and re-encrypting the POPS savedata should be no problem - assuming, of course, they haven't completely changed the way this is done.
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

@melado: There now is CWCHEAT which accepts loading memory cards from epsxe :)

@FreePlay: It is plain old encryption :) It just seems that the key changes with the game.... I'm not sure though :s
melado

Post by melado »

adrahil wrote:@melado: There now is CWCHEAT which accepts loading memory cards from epsxe :)[
Oh! Could you give me more information about this? Any URL or something? Thanks!

Edit: okay, I found it by myself: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13140 :)
niemand0815

Post by niemand0815 »

i find the cwcheat solution to use savegames a bit complicated, also there are some games which have problems with it.

thus a method of encrypting and decrypting the memcards on the ms would be perfect if it can result in a gme->.dat converter for pops :-)
FreePlay

Post by FreePlay »

Well, there seems to be a universal encryption/decryption key stored in the POPS emulator, but all attempts thus far to actually use it seem to be failing. At the very least, the savedata encryption/decryption/utility samples in the SDK don't work.
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Encryption/decryption is not only using chnnlsv, but also pipes all sceIo* commands thru a DRM-like filter, which decodes them/encodes them/does various things. (FYI The filter is installed in iofilemgr_dnas.prx, by the IoFileMgrForKernel_42F954D4 function, and modifies the output of some sceIo functions... I got the command figured out, but i'm too lazy to post it or even test it...)
weltall

Post by weltall »

niemand0815 wrote:i find the cwcheat solution to use savegames a bit complicated, also there are some games which have problems with it.

thus a method of encrypting and decrypting the memcards on the ms would be perfect if it can result in a gme->.dat converter for pops :-)
i don't see what's complicated it's more simple than copying a file to psp putting there the psp header loading it with an app which does the encryption and save closing it and loading your game and the inverse for the decrypting.
oh and forget doing it on a pc.

games doesn't have problems with cwcheat you just need to load saves earlier (keep select pressed while booting up and load when the menu appears) and all games reported as not working with certain saves didn't work even on epsxe
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

I agree with the above, the cwcheat function couldn't be easier to use and worked flawlessly on every attempt in here; kudos welt ;)
Later,

Alcahest