Recovery mode USB in VSH

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Team-3GO

Recovery mode USB in VSH

Post by Team-3GO »

Ok, i experienced some problems to get usb working while running recovery mode in the VSH.
Afaik recovery mode is a user module so it should be technically possible to run usb.

Is usb in recovery initialised by the IPL like recovery itself or why is it not working in the VSH?
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star."
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well, to start off, I think you are talking about 5.02 GEN recovery menu. Theirs no type of M33 cfw that runs on the vsh.
The recovery menu is loaded by the ipl (when you hold the R-Trigger while turning on your psp)
Team-3GO

Post by Team-3GO »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Well, to start off, I think you are talking about 5.02 GEN recovery menu. Theirs no type of M33 cfw that runs on the vsh.
I talk about M33 recovery.
Dariusc123456 wrote: The recovery menu is loaded by the ipl (when you hold the R-Trigger while turning on your psp)
As stated in my first post, expect that you mentioned the R-Trigger. :P

Recovery is launching usb not like a usual user module does, thats what i experienced so far.
But now i would like to know HOW it works and why it NOT works in the VSH.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Ask moonlight why the recovery menu dont run on the vsh. To me, its useless to load it from the vsh.

Download the OE cfw source code and see how the recovery menu works.
Zer01ne

Post by Zer01ne »

The Recovery module is loaded by the IPL if you press R while turn on your PSP. The usb module is loaded on the Recovery Mode if you select the selection "Toggle USB" in menu and unloaded if you select "Toggle USB" for second time

Sorry for my english
Team-3GO

Post by Team-3GO »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Ask moonlight why the recovery menu dont run on the vsh. To me, its useless to load it from the vsh.

Download the OE cfw source code and see how the recovery menu works.

Maybe he will answer in this thread, hope so.

I know how it worked back in OE days but a lot of things changed since then.
It`s more or less useless you`re right but it seems a lot of people in the psp scene like that kind of useless geek stuff.
Use it myself for a while and it`s nice to bring up recovery just with a button press instead of rebooting and holding R.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well, you can reverse enginer recovery.prx and find out for your self. I might send you a file later on how everything works. I will have to find it again.
Torch

Post by Torch »

moonlight said that when holding the R-trigger a custom pspbtcnf.bin that is stored in the IPL is loaded instead of the flash0:/kd one. Maybe the usb modules are already entries in this recovery pspbtcnf.bin and the recovery.prx doesn't load them. Hence when running recovery.prx in VSH the modules are not loaded.

Or maybe there is no memory in VSH mode to load the user mode usb modules. VSH unloads some stuff when you start USB from XMB.
Team-3GO

Post by Team-3GO »

Torch wrote:moonlight said that when holding the R-trigger a custom pspbtcnf.bin that is stored in the IPL is loaded instead of the flash0:/kd one. Maybe the usb modules are already entries in this recovery pspbtcnf.bin and the recovery.prx doesn't load them. Hence when running recovery.prx in VSH the modules are not loaded.

Or maybe there is no memory in VSH mode to load the user mode usb modules. VSH unloads some stuff when you start USB from XMB.

Thanks for your input Torch, must be something like that.
Had not much time to play around but i will try to init usb myself up next.

Obvious its not a memory problem since my test module works just fine.

I bet its like you said and the custom pspbtcnf.bin loads all required modules as it dont need any vsh stuff in recovery state.