PSP has 3 CPUs

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

edepot

PSP has 3 CPUs

Post by edepot »

According to this site: http://www.edepot.com/reviews_sony_psp.html

The PSP has an ARM9 processor, and two MIPS R4000 processors.

The ARM9 is located in the Marvell Libertas 88W8380 chip, which is probably based on the 88W8310 or 88W8300 chip. I think it has
firmware that is upgradable too inside of it. If it is based on the 88W8310 chip, then the PSP actually supports 802.11g (54 Mbps), but
is not activated. In addition, it would support WPA (AES) as the 88W8310 has built in support for 802.11i (along with 802.11e).

The other Marvell in the Wi-Fi component is the 88W8010 which actually
supports 802.11g (an upgraded from the 802.11b only 88W8000). So
looks like maybe the PSP can support 802.11g, but not activated.

Just like the CPU speed was capped at 222Mhz, but cap can be removed via software.

Post by Guest »

Heh.

Thats less surprising than one might think. ARM-based microcontrollers are all over the place. You probably got a few of them in your PC already, especially if its a Sony. Lots of peripheral chips have ARMs at their "core" so to speak.
morbo

b only

Post by morbo »

The 8380 is b only. You are correct about the 8010 tho. But, @2.4ghz its
b or g, in this case, used soley in b mode.
Pan69

Post by Pan69 »

The ARM9 is for the WiFi controller. The PSP software itself runs on MIPS cpu's only (i.e. the games).
L0j1k

Post by L0j1k »

Did anybody bother reading this part about the Remote Control?
Note that the remote control port on the PSP provides dual purposes. Besides providing headset and remote control functionality, it can be used to initiate special commands to the PSP. Provided you have the correct gear, and have sent the correct communication (via RS232 at 4800 baud) via the remote control port, you can even send new code for execution and put the PSP in a special diagnostic mode.
Interesting, at the very least.
--
Eyeore, arm photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Tigger, Piglet, meet me in Transporter Room Three.

This post posted using 100% recycled electrons.
--

Post by Guest »

L0j1k wrote:Did anybody bother reading this part about the Remote Control?

Interesting, at the very least.
Interesting yes. New news ? No. :) There was extensive discussion about this port awhile back (with pictures!). If you search, you will find.
mc

Post by mc »

Or follow this link.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people