On the topic of PSIX...

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

raf

Re: On the topic of PSIX...

Post by raf »

Seems to me this thread has gone long enough on the wrong direction. Time for a cleanup or lock down, is my suggestion.

Either way, my take on the whole Fluff deal is that she's not doing anything illegal. She's buit something closed-sourced using tools under the BSD license. This is just a sad fact.

Now, many of us, (myself included), believe homebrew should remain free (free as in freedom, although I see many people confused on this aspect as well). This is the main reason I chose the GPL for the license on PSPRadio. If anybody creates derived works from it, then they better keep it free and open as well.

I don't personally have a problem if a developer choses to charge for their software. I just won't buy it; most likely, as it goes against my beliefs.

About donations, and this is getting a little off-topic, so forgive me. I chose to allow donations for my work on PSPRadio, only because it was something users asked for, and because it has really helped me justify all the time spent on this project with my family (more like away from it). But I'm firmly against actually charging for it, or any other homebrew (I have broken ties with some entitities because of this).

But even though I believe Fluff has done nothing legally wrong; I do feel she's walked all over the ps2dev team; not only by her responses, but the mere fact that she mentions it on her PDR without ever having any prior friendly discussions with the team leaders about this.

Just my 2cents,

Raf.
HaQue

Post by HaQue »

Firstly, I hold this forum and most of the participants in the highest regard.
But I seem to remember from drakonite:
We don't need scene politics here.

Locked.
at
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... e+politics

I now agree... I'd much rather see the useful dev and hardware talk than this!

HaQue
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

so would I
Fluff

Re: On the topic of PSIX...

Post by Fluff »

raf wrote:But even though I believe Fluff has done nothing legally wrong; I do feel she's walked all over the ps2dev team; not only by her responses, but the mere fact that she mentions it on her PDR without ever having any prior friendly discussions with the team leaders about this.
Agreed, my appologies to you all if my replies, (which they probably did), came across in a negetive manner, though it's no excuse, even though i did not create psix on my own (i do not do the coding for the project, at all), and do not benefit personally from the sales of it's memberships, it is i alone, that takes the brunt of peoples frustrations and flames, and it's starting to take its toll on my nerves.
As for the mentioning of ps2dev.org, i am working on a new site right now that straightens out most concerns, including the mentioning of ps2dev, the naming scheme and some other aspects.
Though i doubt it will make a difference at this point, i do not want to be on bad terms with ps2dev, we can be mature about this after all, sharing different views and opinions on if charging for homebrew work or not is acceptable doesn't mean we should loose respect for each other.

It seems the main concern is that we are charging money for memberships, because it's already been 3 months since this began, we cannot suddenly turn around and make memberships free, and obviously i cannot ask the other developers and people who have already used pdr, for the money/resources back to refund everyone that bought a membership.

The only thing i CAN do, is ignore the negetives, and work my ass off with my team to make sure that psix's PUBLIC build eventually becomes as good as it can be, and that those that paid for memberships are satisfied with our work enough that they feel it was money well spent.

And as it's the only thing i can do, it's the one thing i'm going to make damn sure i stick to, no matter how, who or where i am flamed.
Last edited by Fluff on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnmph

Post by johnmph »

Mathieulh wrote:
johnmph wrote:No moderators here ?
Do you let mathieulh post lies on this serious forum ?

I saw also attacks on this post :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4249&start=150

There is always an attack based on lie in his posts.
Sure there were a lot of attacks...... why don't you speak about your "downgrader story" section on your forum that is all based on flamming us ??
Downgrader story section has been created because sonyxteam not only steal project but he say also that my downgrader can brick psp with false statistics.
Mathieulh wrote:
johnmph wrote:And don't forget that this guy has official sdk when he gave some informations :

http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=2 ... hlight=sdk
Do you have any proofs that I actually own the SDK ? Didn't it occured to your mind that someone could have just given me some intels about it ? Beside if I did owned it, it wouldn't proof that any of the informations I provided at ps2dev came from this very SDK (witch is not the case as I allways revealed the sources of my intels), however YOU used the official SCE sdk's pdfs to build the drivers required to load the webbrowser in MPHFL...
That can be easely proved by any owner of the official SDK.
http://mphwebsite.tuxfamily.org/punBB/v ... php?id=194
Mathieulh wrote:
johnmph wrote:Except when he forgets to give the true author of these informations :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=90

already posted by psppet here :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... r&start=30

Now a moderator can he do what is necessary ?
I didn't know pspset found this before, I am sorry if I annoyed him in any way, I thought I was helping the communauty by sharing the informations, if you don't believe me I gave the very method I used to extract the modules in the very same thread. right here http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4249&start=150
In your post :
mathieulh wrote: LeptonUpdater for 103 (I don't know what the heck this module is but I assume it's to run on a psp 1.0.3 (aka psp 1.00)
In psppet post :
psppet wrote: LeptonUpdater for 103 -- I assume for the "1.0" devices
Even the word 'assume' is copied ...
mathieulh wrote: Now I think you are the one who should be banned for:

-stealing others concept
-give bad reputations to the ones you stole concept and code from
-code and release a warez iso loader based on others intel
-ask donations for that very warez iso loader
-creating a 10 minutes shareware version of this very same iso loader to be sure to have money from donators

And yes i say it's 100% warez because the 1st version of MPHGL not only REQUIRED the use of an iso but also requires the use an extracted firmware (whitch is illegal)

Now you want to talk to me about what's right ?!!
That's all I had to say
My game loader is not a shareware, he is fully available for a while and even if i will not have received anything, I had specified it well in my news.

Sonyxteam is only the thief here, i have already gave facts (in french) in many other website.

And for warez, haha, "your" applications (sxt) are "warezless" ?
johnmph

Post by johnmph »

HaQue wrote:Firstly, I hold this forum and most of the participants in the highest regard.
But I seem to remember from drakonite:
We don't need scene politics here.

Locked.
at
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... e+politics

I now agree... I'd much rather see the useful dev and hardware talk than this!

HaQue
This is why i ask has a moderator to do something, mathieulh always add his posts by a small criticism and it harms the post of origin.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Mathieulh wrote:but also requires the use an extracted firmware (whitch is illegal)
Not to add to flames here but unless i'm mistaken, the tif exploit downgraders use a file from the 1.00 firmware, so the 'psp-1006 and 1007' downgrader you offer on your own site is just as illegal.
Now i may be just a "script kiddy with lame firmware hacks", but i never shared edited or original firmware files, meerly provided the information for people to edit their own.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

johnmph wrote:
Downgrader story section has been created because sonyxteam not only steal project but he say also that my downgrader can brick psp with false statistics.
Unfortunately the statistics are not false, that's why we wanted to warn the users about it, since when offset writting has ever been safe ??
And?....
johnmph wrote: In your post :
mathieulh wrote: LeptonUpdater for 103 (I don't know what the heck this module is but I assume it's to run on a psp 1.0.3 (aka psp 1.00)
In psppet post :
psppet wrote: LeptonUpdater for 103 -- I assume for the "1.0" devices
Even the word 'assume' is copied ...
Is that your explanation ?? I used the same word as pspset in the post ? That very word is in every English dictionnary, beside I use it pretty often.....This excuse is so lame.....

Beside I knew (as I even said on my post) that the fw 1.0.3 is the very same as the fw 1.00 that's how I knew that LeptonUpdater for 103 was meant to be run on 1.00
johnmph wrote:
My game loader is not a shareware, he is fully available for a while and even if i will not have received anything, I had specified it well in my news.
Don't take others for fools especially not at ps2dev, your game loader has NOT ALLWAYS been "fully available"
Beside you knew you would recieve money from people who tought that the MPHGL is based on your concept (whitch is not)
johnmph wrote: And for warez, haha, "your" applications (sxt) are "warezless" ?
Yes they are.... Tell us just one warez application that we developped ? the only "warez" thing that we ever did was to embebed the 1.00 index.dat in our downgrader and to embebed the others index.dat in the version changer because we didn't want anyone to brick their psp with their costum or fake index.dat.
Beside you did share the 1.00 index.dat with your downgrader as well.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

Fluff wrote:
Mathieulh wrote:but also requires the use an extracted firmware (whitch is illegal)
Not to add to flames here but unless i'm mistaken, the tif exploit downgraders use a file from the 1.00 firmware, so the 'psp-1006 and 1007' downgrader you offer on your own site is just as illegal.
Now i may be just a "script kiddy with lame firmware hacks", but i never shared edited or original firmware files, meerly provided the information for people to edit their own.
So did MPH with his own downgrader, beside at least we didn't code any warez iso loader.

Nor as we ever asked for donations for anything (unlike you) and we never stole anything from other, despite MPH's and others lame acusations
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Mathieulh wrote:So did MPH with his own downgrader, beside at least we didn't code any warez iso loader.
So wait, doing something illegals not the same as doing something illegal now?, and yoshi didn't code retail from-memstick game loaders?

This threads gone way of topic since you started posting, and resulted in turning into an SXT vs MPH flame war, the people involved (including me) should be banned.
I'm sure no admin or regular of this forum appreciates or even wants to see such drama unfolding here, so this is going to be my last post on the subject, i would advise both you and john do the same.
Mathieulh

Post by Mathieulh »

I asked for this flame war to stop, but it seems you didn't get it so I had to reply....

This will be my LAST post on this thread so enjoy you will be able to flame me all allong...

Now to answer you regarding the yoshi's MS loader, what yoshi coded in WAB has nothing to do with SXT.

Finally yoshi got banned for 9months because of it (and is still banned) when he coded as a proof of concept (people here said that it was impossible to load games from the MS at this time) and for educationnal purposes while nothing happened to MPH who coded an iso loader with only warez intents.

Thus... as I said it's my last post on this thread as I think this flame war is pointless and should stop as soon as possible.
Last edited by Mathieulh on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

I hope you children all get banned, this is a developer forum, not a drama queen forum. :)

jim: Thanks for clearing that up.

My opinion is if the license isn't being violated, it is a complete waste of time discussing it here, especially if the discussions about it degenerate mindlessly. Let them take their bullshit elsewhere.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Ths thread has drifted way off topic in the time it took me to get a good night's sleep, so I'm locking it. No bans, no warnings... just the end of this thread here so we can get back to dev.

It appears that people have different opinions on donations and contributions to the community. However, a lot of people who haven't considered this topic are thinking about about it now and may someday lead to a more civil conversation in the future.

As an aside, there has been some mention of information being posted on these forums that has come from questionable sources. Please keep in mind that if nobody brings it up we generally don't track down where each piece comes from. If you see something out of line and don't see anything done about it, we probably don't know. Please email an admin and let us know.

Thanks.